BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you all replaced these on your E60: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-strut-mount-front-31336760943

I've been getting some noise predominantly while making left turns. I've had both the upper and lower control arms replaced within the past 2000-3000 miles and I really doubt those are the issue.

I've been chasing a vibration while braking as well...would worn out strut mounts cause anything like that aside from the popping/crunching that happens during turns?

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
Changed them out and had that popping sound your describing but nothing changed, eventually changed out all my control arm bushings no change then changed my shocks and problem solved. TBH every part i changed was visibly broken down even the strut mount was srsly bent in.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's interesting is that if I push down on the vehicle above the strut, I don't get any noise. When I lift the front driver side with my jack, as it begins to droop, I get noise. Perhaps the struts are due for replacement.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
What's interesting is that if I push down on the vehicle above the strut, I don't get any noise. When I lift the front driver side with my jack, as it begins to droop, I get noise. Perhaps the struts are due for replacement.
Hey there TX,

How many miles are on the 550i? Have you decided on what brand of new shocks to use?

·
Registered
292 Posts
TX550,

Agree with previous poster; if your car has many miles, recommend replacing struts and mounts together. Make sure you torque the mounts as they can create noises if done improperly.

I recently installed new Bilstein HDs (and strut mounts) on my 530Xi. My struts were completely shot but I still need to replace the control arms. I don't remember any specific noise while lifting my car, but the struts had no compression or rebound in them (all four). I also did not have the $$$ to do all at the same time, and also figured that I could inspect during disassembly. The HDs are superior to the stock struts, but they provide a much firmer ride and helped me finalize the diagnosis of worn upper ball joint or control arm bushings.

FCP was easy to order from and they warranty all stock parts for our cars.

Good luck,
Fred

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ~150,000 miles on her.

If I do front struts, I may just go with the OEM sachs unless I can be absolutely certain that whatever Bilsteins I replace them with are direct or at least close to being similar.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
The Bilstein B4 is a direct OE replacement while the B6 is a shock with higher performance capabilities.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which Bilsteins are closest to my M Sports Suspension. That's what I'm most focused on.

·
Freude am Fahren
4,292 Posts
Which Bilsteins are closest to my M Sports Suspension. That's what I'm most focused on.
Oh, that's a tough one to know.

I'm going to assume that our shocks may be Bilsteins, but with BMW part numbers.

Try using realoem.com to see if a non-sport 550i uses the same shock(part number).

When that time comes to replace my shocks, I may go with Bilstein B6 HD.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Realoem lists three different part numbers for the front struts. There's regular struts, sport struts and M-sport struts.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FCPeuro has the B6 listed for both the sports suspension and the m-sport suspension.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
I have a bit of experience with this. When i bought the car the previous owner had Blisten B6 on the car with eibach springs. My front shocks where shot as i said in my previous post so i wanted replacements. But B6s are super tight, I love them but not for everyday use on the tired roads in my country. So i went for BOGE/Sachs (same company/product now) and went for the sport shocks. When i took out my shocks i discovered i had lowered Eibach springs which made things complicated as i dont want to ruin the lifespan of my new shocks so i returned them and got M-sport shocks from BOGE/Sachs as they are bit lower then sport shocks. Comparing Msport shocks and Blisten B6 shocks there is a noticeable difference. Most importantly the Msports as much more comfortable, tight but controlled. No body roll whatsoever and no shaking over bumps. Blistens were awesome on smooth roads, car would brake in an instant and change direction even faster, but you can feel every single tiny rock on the road which is amazing but not 24/7 amazing. Also i hated how the whole car would shake over bumps because they were super tight. Personally if you have smooth roads go for the B6 if you have average to tired roads then dont go with the B6 they will drive you crazy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts