BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
I needed a new front strut and I decided to purchase all new struts, springs and bushings for all four corners of the car as my car has 160,xxx miles on it and I don't know if the suspension was ever replaced. My parts should arrive in a week or two and once I have them installed I will give you a review.

I ordered bilstein sport struts and H&R sport springs from turnermotorsport.com.

My only concern with your car is rubbing with the 20" wheels. I have 17" wheels so I knew I wouldn't have a problem with the car being lowered a little but I'm not so sure about yours.

I ordered the sport struts and springs for a better look and improved handling. From what Ive read the ride isn't too much more harsh than stock.

If I were only replacing the fronts and wanted the ride quality to stay similar to stock I'd stick with Billy HDs and try an OEM spring kit from H&R

hope this helps a little!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I needed a new front strut and I decided to purchase all new struts, springs and bushings for all four corners of the car as my car has 160,xxx miles on it and I don't know if the suspension was ever replaced. My parts should arrive in a week or two and once I have them installed I will give you a review.

I ordered bilstein sport struts and H&R sport springs from turnermotorsport.com.

My only concern with your car is rubbing with the 20" wheels. I have 17" wheels so I knew I wouldn't have a problem with the car being lowered a little but I'm not so sure about yours.

I ordered the sport struts and springs for a better look and improved handling. From what Ive read the ride isn't too much more harsh than stock.

If I were only replacing the fronts and wanted the ride quality to stay similar to stock I'd stick with Billy HDs and try an OEM spring kit from H&R

hope this helps a little!
How much did all of this cost you. I am interested in buying the same stuff for my baby in the spring when i pull her out. I put her away for the winter time, but definitely want to lower my 540i a bit and need new suspension

·
Registered
585 Posts
The struts and springs came as a kit for $818 and all the new bushings were about $60 for all of them
Nothing is cheap on this car I guess. But doesn't sound too bad. Definitely will be a task for the spring and by then I should hopefully have some money saved up. :bigpimp: Otherwise, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a 98 e39 528i , I need front struts and shocks for my ride , I have 20" rims on it and want something with a smooth ride, not bouncy, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!
I think you are not getting a lot of answers because suspension questions have been talked about a lot on here. I would do some searching you will find a lot of info. Also maybe give some more specifics of what you are looking for and your current set up. Do you have OEM shocks and springs now? If so sport suspension or non sport suspension? You are just looking for front struts and rear shocks non springs correct? Have you lowered your car at all? Most people with 20s are also looking to lower their car. Just you driving the car or will you be driving around, wife/kids/others so ride has to be acceptable to others? Budget restraints.

I don't mean to be insulting if you already know all this, but if you are just starting to learn about suspension options here are some starting points for your searches in no particular order.

Struts/shocks
1) Sachs/boge (oem, but will need replacement at 50k-70k)
2) Bilstein touring (more oem like ride, but lifetime warranty)
3) Koni sports (adjustable)
4) Bilstein HDs
5) Bilstein Sports
6) Koni FSD (although I think there have been a lot of reported failures with the FSDs)

Springs
1) OEM non sport
2) OEM sport (little lower)

Lowering springs
3) Vogtland
3) H&R
4) B&G
5) Eibach
6) Dinan (custom)

The best recommendation I have is to try and find someone in your area (with the set up you are considering) willing to let you test drive their suspension.

Bilstein HDs with H&R springs. Pretty close to oem ride
I think most people comment that bilstein HDs are harsher than oem. How harsh depends on the individual and if you are coming from sport or non sport suspension. Also how smooth/rough the roads are in your area.

Overall when people are giving you their opinions, soft, firm and harsh are all relative. Something may feel like like stock to you may be really harsh to someone else. Also do you mean oem sport or non sport?

Can you use HDs with lowering springs I thought you needed sports with lowering springs?

To the OP
It does not seem like lowering/custom ride height is your main goal, but coilovers give you the ability to really slam your car or get the ride height just where you want it. Although the ride is going to be harsher than oem. For entry priced coilovers search:

1) BC racing coilovers
2) EAC coilovers (if they are still available)
3) ST coilovers
4) FK coilovers

I have not yet had to do struts/shocks on my car, but Konis are tops on my list. I know its a diff chassis, but I was never happy with the bilstein HDs on my e28 (felt every tiny road imperfection). Plus I like the idea of adjusting the shocks to your liking although the rears can only be adjusted when they are off the car. Personally I am looking for sport height maybe a tiny bit lower, improved handling, but not super harsh ride, probably won't run anything bigger than 18s and ride only has to suit me not others. So my current thoughts for me are:

1) Koni sports with my current sport springs,
2) Dinan custom Koni sports with Dinan springs
3) Koni sports with another spring that does not give bad rake or lower the car too much (not sure which one that is)
4) EAC coilovers independent height and pre-load adjustment, 18 dampening adjustments
5) KW V2s rebound and dampening adjustment, but expensive and probably overkill for my needs

I am going to try and get some test rides of those suspension in e39s if possible before I buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.