BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 05 325i auto, with aprox. 85,000 miles. Have replaced cab's, tie rods and sway bar links and still have a poping sound from front end. You can start the car up turn wheel left and right and get a poping sound each time wheel turns. This is driving me crazy, Please, any thoughts? Any help would be nice.

·
Noone Special
673 Posts
I would check the strut tops, easy to check. Pop the hood. at the strut tower pop the plastic cover in the center to expose the nut on the top of the strut. Use your ear or put a screwdriver to that nut. Have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while you listen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks the the help, is there any way to check to tell if the ball joints are bad or do i need to take car to indy shop? Thanks again

·
catso
3,162 Posts
You can jack the front of the car up and try to pry on the underside of the control arm to see if there's any freeplay; there shouldn't be any. But with the problem you describe, the ball joint might still feel tight but cause this noise anyway. If you have 85,000 miles on the original control arms, it's time to replace them anyway. Get the Lemfoerder's or Meyle's, stay away from the bargain brands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts