BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is going to sound dumb but I dont understand suspension abd what does what and need a lil help. Lol. I'm fairly handy just.. this is an area I've never dealt with. What are the wear out parts? Tie rods ball joints wheel bearing etc. The reason I'm asking is I have a noise I'm pretty sure is coming from the front suspension when I hit bumps. Also the right tire is Wearing on the inside? Alignment issue maybe? The car has a slight wobble/shimmy around 50 but it goes away I attribute that mostly to the small bend in the bead of the back right rim. So the main questions are...what are the "wear out parts" and any idea what component of the front suspension could case the noise when I hit bumps. No popping during turning. Also it doesn't pull in any direction. Even during braking it doesn't pull.

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
The shimmy at 50 gives it away, and yeah they can knock when they've worn

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered Lunatic
971 Posts
Also... Expensive is relative...
If you do it yourself, not so much. If you pay someone else. To do it, it can be. You'll need to have a wheel alignment immediately afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts
You came to the right place. There are many threads and Web articles specific to 540 suspension repairs, it would be good for you to find and get smart about it.

I replaced everything up front in this order, thrust arms, wish bone arm, struts, then, tie rod & center link. This was to learn the effects of each change, and one ll is to do both thrust and wb arms at the same time.

For your 50 mph wobble, do you feel the wobble thru the steering wheel? Does it happen even if you are not braking? Yes and yes points to the thrust arms. I write this from what ive experience on my vehicle.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Look in the search box for a diy by cn90 on both front end and read suspension refresh. He has done a masterful job of covering what tools you will need, what parts you will need and how to do it. If you do careful shopping on ebad you can save considerable $$$

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts