Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I’ve had this grinding noise coming from my front wheels & my mechanic tells me it’s the front wheel bearings that need replacing. I’m in Nairobi, Kenya so flying them in will cost a pretty penny.

Any thoughts on work arounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Hey all,

I’ve had this grinding noise coming from my front wheels & my mechanic tells me it’s the front wheel bearings that need replacing. I’m in Nairobi, Kenya so flying them in will cost a pretty penny.

Any thoughts on work arounds?

And it's not the breaks...best you learn about your car.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I’ve since learned it was two problems; first the front differential oil has leaked causing the gears in the diff to break. Secondly the front drive shafts have a grinding sound mentioned above (not the wheel bearings). The left side oil seal also seems to have let out oil possibly damaging it as well. The prop shaft may also have been bent by the damaged diff.

Help!!

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems...are you prepared in doing the work yourself?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I’ve sent it in to the dealer for the diagnostics, & the report is based on a superficial inspection. They’ll need to open it up completely to ascertain whether the prop shaft & even possibly the crankshaft & transfer case have to be replaced as well. If so the car will be effectively a right-off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts