BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
slbeemer
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black on black 2000 528i with window tinting on sides and back. Tinting has done great job of reducing the heat while sitting out in the sun. However, this time of year in Dallas is a scortcher and I am trying to find a windshield sun shade that looks good and does a good job. Does anyone have a recommendation? I have looked quite a bit on the internet and can't seem to find what I am looking for.

·
Registered
697 Posts

·
FTW Trump 2020!
1,077 Posts
Believe it or not i have seen a few dummies that actually tint the windshield, and im not talking light smoke either.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Believe it or not i have seen a few dummies that actually tint the windshield, and im not talking light smoke either.
I think I know who you're talking about lol (Which is so illegal in AZ, got in trouble back in High-School with limo tint on the front side windows, they're very strict about it here)

·
FTW Trump 2020!
1,077 Posts
Here in nj im not even supposed to do the front doors. Most cops let it go if its not super dark but depends how bored they are sometimes i guess.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not sure what you are searching for looks wise, but I have a covercraft one and I really like it. They are made specifically to fit your make/model. I can confirm the fit is excellent for the e39. Just so you know I used it when I was down in Raleigh NC these past two years. It might not be quite as hot as Dallas, but it seemed to hit or break 90 almost everyday these past two summers there. I never did a comparison with it and without it as I bought it when I got got the car. My car also has tinted windows and I have the rear power shade and manual rear side shades as well.

I had used the cheap ones from autozone for my e28 in NY previously. I think the covercraft version is much better. The coverage is better as it is customized for the car vs universal fit for the cheap ones that leave more of a gap for the sun to get in. Also the cheap ones are flexible vs the covercraft is rigid which I think makes the covercraft easier to put up and take down.

Covercraft sells their shades through many retailers check out their website for listings. I got mine from Bavauto plus they include the storage bag (nice selling point for me), which some other sellers seem to charge extra for. If you shop around you may be able to find it for cheaper, just remember to check if the storage bag is included or extra if that is important to you. If you do order from bav auto it is part #UV 10647. I mention this because Bavauto also sells their own ultimate reflector for $10 more and pleated retractable shade their lowest price option. The ultimate reflector looks like it might be worth consideration as well.

seems covercraft offers different colors now if that is appealing to you
http://www.covercraft.com/uvs100.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm going to be doing ceramic tint to my windshield really soon. A local shop in L.A. showed me a vehicle that had this done for heat reduction.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your not supposed to tint the windshield here in SC either. Everyone does it though. I have my truck windshield tinted 35% and the sides are 5%, but the windshield is so large that it still lets plenty of light in and I can see just fine out of it. I would not tint the windshield in my E39 though. It only has 35% tint on the sides and rear glass and already feels like I'm riding in a closet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure what you are searching for looks wise, but I have a covercraft one and I really like it. They are made specifically to fit your make/model. I can confirm the fit is excellent for the e39. Just so you know I used it when I was down in Raleigh NC these past two years. It might not be quite as hot as Dallas, but it seemed to hit or break 90 almost everyday these past two summers there. I never did a comparison with it and without it as I bought it when I got got the car. My car also has tinted windows and I have the rear power shade and manual rear side shades as well.

I had used the cheap ones from autozone for my e28 in NY previously. I think the covercraft version is much better. The coverage is better as it is customized for the car vs universal fit for the cheap ones that leave more of a gap for the sun to get in. Also the cheap ones are flexible vs the covercraft is rigid which I think makes the covercraft easier to put up and take down.

Covercraft sells their shades through many retailers check out their website for listings. I got mine from Bavauto plus they include the storage bag (nice selling point for me), which some other sellers seem to charge extra for. If you shop around you may be able to find it for cheaper, just remember to check if the storage bag is included or extra if that is important to you. If you do order from bav auto it is part #UV 10647. I mention this because Bavauto also sells their own ultimate reflector for $10 more and pleated retractable shade their lowest price option. The ultimate reflector looks like it might be worth consideration as well.

seems covercraft offers different colors now if that is appealing to you
http://www.covercraft.com/uvs100.html
I just ordered the covercraft instead of the OEM versions because of this. thanks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts