BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You want to retrofit paddles I can make your paddles come to life on your e60 lci only.

Will send full instructions and will code them to your car.

If local I can install for u.

Asking $50

I have a 535xi, didn't come with paddles.

No more motivemod kit $500 :thumbdwn:

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you located?

Are you selling a wheel with paddles for $100, or just the coding?
I,m no selling a steering wheel with paddles.

I'm selling the harness for direct installation, without the need to pay MM $500 for the kit they sale.

NJ by the way

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about wiring in your own paddle shifters (if you cant afford an m5 steering wheel)? In reality, the shifter buttons are just a typical momentary switch which any pair of shifters from ebay would accomplish (in my reckoning). Do you have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
587 Posts
not for the LCI cars. for pre-LCI then momentary switches will work just like you are thinking. the same kind of wiring used in the e46 and e39. i did this on my e39.

for the LCI cars the shifts are controlled by voltage differences. running wires like the pre-LCI's will not work. i now have all of the pieces needed to do the SAT retrofit and hopefully will do it this weekend. 2 wires are needed for LCI cars. one wire from the SZL to ground and one from SZL to DME. one will then need to code a new VO to the vehicle to activate the SAT.

G~

·
Registered
23 Posts
So that still precludes any kind of DIY wiring? It would definitely have to the m5 wheel?

I have the transmission flashed to the sport transmission, would I actually need the sport shifter to accomplish this retrofit?

·
Registered
587 Posts
for the M5 + - wheel, there needs to be some resistor mods done to the wiring within the steering wheel in order for the SAT to see difference between the two sides. the SAT is push pull on each side, so the different voltages are seen by pushing and pulling. adding resistors to the M5 paddles make one side a certain voltage and the other a certain voltage.

the SAT and the normal shift ECU are different. they are a different shape and the SAT shifter has a sport button. some think that the only real difference is software, but nobody is 100% if the SAT software can fully be pushed to the normal shift ECU. i did not want to take the chance and swapped out the normal ECU for the SAT shifter.

there are a few DIY threads about running the wires necessary for doing a full SAT retrofit. i hope to make one when i finish doing mine. i have every option on my steering wheel, so i am curious to see if i already have some of the wiring done, or if i still need to run wires. there have been some instances where wiring was not necessary and only coding was necessary.

G~

·
Registered
23 Posts
I see what you're saying. I was able to code full sport functionality into the shifter and transmission. I even wired up the sport button. The cluster displays the different gear modes, s1-5, m1-5. The steering stiffen when I hit the sport mode. If I hit the sport mode without popping the shifter to d/s, the gears still shift and I have quicker gear changes. On top of all of that, the Rev matching works too. This is all on a base mode 528i.

With all of that possible, I imagine I can some how manage to wire in shifters. I see that you understand it pretty well. Is there anyway you could fathum this working?

·
30FF <3
2,619 Posts
I see what you're saying. I was able to code full sport functionality into the shifter and transmission. I even wired up the sport button. The cluster displays the different gear modes, s1-5, m1-5. The steering stiffen when I hit the sport mode. If I hit the sport mode without popping the shifter to d/s, the gears still shift and I have quicker gear changes. On top of all of that, the Rev matching works too. This is all on a base mode 528i.

With all of that possible, I imagine I can some how manage to wire in shifters. I see that you understand it pretty well. Is there anyway you could fathum this working?
This sounds interesting, what guide did you follow to code this sport transmission did you use NCS Expert? What are the options to enable ?

I have the sport button already. My wheel doesn't stiffens but I think this is due to me having AS and Dynamic Drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to have an lci for it to work.

I first coded the vehicle order to think it had a sport transmission and shifter. Then the kombi so it displays the sport symbol. Then egs so it doesn't think there are paddle shifters when there aren't. The transmission is more complicated because you have to flash it using winkfp. I had the help for Bimmer guy on Facebook for that step.

The first thing I did was the sport button. As soon as I added it I got the stiffer steering.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
M5 steering wheel pins need to be move from the paddle harness and relocated to the resistors. What I'm selling includes the resistor and everything that u need. The non m5 paddles is a plug & play, But still need to run wires and pins if u don't already have them.

If one of u have a non sport ecu and have a kdcan i would like to take a look, and check if paddles can be activated with out the sport ecu.

I think it does not sure, motivod $500 kit works without sport paddles not aure if it would be the same on this case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have sport anything on my car and have the ability to do remote coding with my laptop. I have all the coding capabilities.

I had to code out paddle shifters when I coded in the sport options or else I would have gotten an error even time I pressed the button.

·
Registered
587 Posts
here is pretty much the largest resource for SAT and paddle shift retrofits for the e60.

there are electrical differences within the 2 ECU's. in that thread there is somebody who modified the non-sport ECU circuit to match the Sport ECU circuit.

even just adding an eBay "sport" button can "trick" the car into thinking it has an SAT and will change the feel of the car. less assist with the steering and some changes to the shifting. for pre-LCI you even get the Sport word in the dash display. for LCI vehicles you do not until the car is coded for the SAT.

as far as adding paddle shifters to a non-SAT vehicle, it should be doable. the coding is just letting the car know what options it has, i am not sure how much it checks to see that the actual transmission ECU is correct. the functionality is the same between the two ECU's. the tranny itself is the same. as long as the vehicle knows to look for voltage differences on the pin from the paddles it will tell the tranny to shift.

G~

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey I have a 2008 535xi with the sports steering wheel. How can I get these paddle shifters from the M5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
read the link i posted in the post right before yours. it is a significant read. i have now done all of the wiring, purchased the correct steering wheel. i just need to find time to do the coding.

if you want the pull only paddles, then there is additional wiring needing to be done with the paddles themselves. if you just want the push-pull paddles than only the 2 wires to the SZL are needed.

G~

1 - 20 of 32 Posts