BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unless otherwise described below, these are all used parts that were working upon removal -- I do maintenance preventively on my personal vehicles, so I replace some parts well before failure. All are from my 2008 BMW X3 (E83) (two of them), with the N52 engine and automatic transmission, with the exception of last part (an M54 PCV hose?) which was listed incorrectly by the manufacturer and the part-vendor. No guarantee by me that any part still works, is proper for your vehicle, etc., so research/judge before contacting me; no returns/refunds. Bulk purchases best for lowest purchase and shipping costs; in-person pickup is possible here in N.E. Kansas. Personal Message (PM) me, via this website, if interested in any or all of it! :)

---

OEM Valve Cover #1. Will likely need a new PCV diaphragm (repair kit on eBay, etc.) and gaskets. A small divider-piece cracked off, and was glued back on before being reinstalled and used for a year or so; couldn't post the pic of it due to limits; PM me for that pic).

OEM Valve Cover #2. Cleaner than #1, but also likely needs a new PCV diaphragm (repair kit on eBay, etc.) and gaskets.

Aftermarket Valve Cover. Worked well for about a year, then seemed to have a vacuum leak. Could have been the cheap main gasket. I'd try an OEM gasket set with it. PM me for a pic of the bottom side.

Oil filler cap and ring. Ring will need a custom pin to make its hinge to the cap work again, or use as is.

Three new spark plug hole sleeves; these go in through the valve cover. Two are damaged, from being shipped unpadded/unprotected by the big-name vendor! :-{ The third time they got it right, but by then I had fixed/reused my old one. Maybe you can fix the slightly-squished two, plus use the third as is?

Two N52 PCV hoses (one per engine). Is the PITA hose to disconnect from the back of the valve cover, before removing the valve cover.

Seven VANOS solenoid valves (need two per N52; easy to replace); four are likely OEM, and three are aftermarket. I'd buy them all, clean, and try them one-by-one. I'll guess that they all work, but you get to find out.

Four N52 camshaft position senders (need two per engine; easy to replace). One of the four is definitely bad -- gave bad signals on warm days.

N52 crankshaft position sender (one per engine).

Ten N52 OEM Bosch ignition coils. I've kept one from each set of six, as spares, but could be convinced to include one more if the price is right ...

An aftermarket N52 MAF sensor. I used it a couple of times when chasing problems, but saw no change so I reinstalled the original.

N52 starter. Was cranking a little bit slowly, so replaced while I had the intake manifold off to work on other things. I took this starter apart carefully to inspect the brushes, etc., and it looks fine (but very dirty) inside. I'd clean/grease it, or use it as a core.

OEM engine and exhaust ground straps. While one set were rotted away on my first X3, these from the second still worked, but I replaced them anyway. If it were me, I'd likely soak these used ones overnight in white vinegar, rinse with water, blow-dry, let air dry a couple of days, then add electrical solder to where the braided cables enter their connectors. But that's just me.

Upstream oxygen ("Lambda") sensors #1.

Upstream oxygen sensors #2.

Cooling system reno parts lot #1, including the expansion tank (no cap or sender; those were reused) and many hoses.

Cooling system reno parts lot #2, including the expansion tank (no cap or sender) and many hoses. Note the slightly different hoses between lots #1 and #2; pick wisely, grasshopper.

An about two year old Uro expansion tank, with a cap and sensor. I thought this tank was leaking, but instead it turned out to be a defective new Gates top radiator hose that attached to the tank.

OEM N52 water pump and thermostat #1.

OEM N52 water pump and thermostat #2.

Crappy aftermarket Topaz water pump and two thermostats from a cheapo eBay seller in Arizona. Not sure why anyone would want these, but? Water pump sure looked/installed nicely, but only lasted two years (it is dead; repairable?). The two thermostats are defective -- badly molded hose connection on each and gave OBD errors.

Two N52 coolant temperature senders (one per N52, mount in the upper radiator hose, easy)

Serpentine belt kit.

Driveshaft's giubo and near-new aftermarket center support bearing (CSB). Giubo seems to be of similar (firm) firmness to its replacement. The almost new CSB's bearing doesn't feel bad, but there still was some vibration in the driveshaft so I replaced it again.

Four windshield (front/rear) washer pumps, and four new aftermarket filters/grommets for the pumps (two of each needed per E83) {latter, no pic due to limits; PM me for the pic if desired}. Replaced due to a sudden grommet leak on one -- big puddle of WW fluid on the floor one morning!

Upper mounts for the rear shock absorbers.

Rear springs and their pads, plus a spare set of pads. One spring is for the standard/base X3, and the other is for the M-Sport model. I don't recommend installing them as a pair due to the difference, so better individually as a replacement for one broken spring of the same type.

Two new aftermarket top mounts for the front strut/spring assemblies. Definitely pack the bearings in these with grease beforehand, and you'll have to glue, etc. back on the OEM dust caps to these mounts as their holes on top are a little too big.

Four OEM lugbolts.

Left/front (U.S. driver's) door's latch and two latch cables (PNs 51203330985, 51203402592). I installed new of these to fix the lazy pop-up, but didn't make much of a difference (likely instead is the key cylinder, not included). So these used latch and cables are likely fine.

Eight floor mat hold-downs.

Floor mats, in black. Driver's mat a little worn, and all need cleaning (warm water, laundry detergent, soft brush has worked well for me on others). As the second picture shows, the thin foam on the backs is falling apart, so the some custom work (glued Velcro?) is needed for making hold-downs.

---

Despite what Dorman's website says, this is not for an N52; others are using it on their M54 (and M52, ...?) engines -- you must verify before buying. Is a new Dorman 46044 PCV/valve cover emission hose. See above for what the N52's version looks like.

---

Again, PM me if interested in any or all of the parts.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Coils springs, starter, and belt tensioner went to the scrapyard today. If interested in anything else, respond quickly! I'm in clean-up/out mode, apparently.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignition, or suspension?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.