BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People.. I thought I'd kill too birds with one stone.

My 1998 523i is averaging around 17 mpg on city driving when I drive very conservatively.. is this what everyone else is getting or is there something wrong with mine?

Also, can anyone recommend any cheap performance mods for the car. I was thinking cold air intake and/or chip.. Are these recommended?

Cheers.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Is it an automatic? May be normal for your small-displacement car. The smallest we get here is a 2.5 liter car. However, your mileage does sound low. I would expect something in the mid-20s.

These cars are so well-engineered that the only gains can be had at high RPMs, close to redline, and then are very modest. They typically are not worth the cost.

BTW, the car already has a CAI from the factory.

When did you last do a tune-up: plugs, air and fuel filter? You might also read any Pending Codes for more info.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been tracking my mpg since I got my car in June. I'm averaging 27mpg with a 525i. Yours sounds a little high to me.

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
Hello People.. I thought I'd kill too birds with one stone.

My 1998 523i is averaging around 17 mpg on city driving when I drive very conservatively.. is this what everyone else is getting or is there something wrong with mine?

Also, can anyone recommend any cheap performance mods for the car. I was thinking cold air intake and/or chip.. Are these recommended?
Cheers.
First, find the search feature located near the top of the page, then type in "cold air intake", you should find about 100,459,568 threads on this from the past two weeks.

As for your MPG, tune up time! There is no way it should be getting that low of fuel economy. My 1990 325i just got 26mpg on a 2 hour long highway trip...

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
I get 23 mpg, Sunoco 94. I need to do the plugs***8230;

Unless you're doing heavy traffic city driving, you're probably due for a tune-up.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,207 Posts
The Cliff Notes version:
No....there are no bolt-on mods which will enhance power enough to justify spending your hard-earned money on. CAIs, (even the $700 ones) won`t do much more than increase the noise level of your intake. Save your money for a cooling system rebuild....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts