BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else using an iPhone or iPad App to track gas mileage/fuel economy? If so, which one are you using? After a bunch of research I finally narrowed my choice to one for the iPad called AutoManager. What I found very intriguing while doing my research is that the majority of the screen shots marketing the different apps use a BMW 3 series as the example vehicle.

Are the App creators marketing to us, or are they using the élan of the 3 series to sell their App to others?

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
All Gas Buddy does is find the cheapest gas for you in your area.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
I keep a paper log and enter the data into a spreadsheet every once in a while. I recently upgraded my Garmin which has a built in ap I've started to use. You update it every time you fill up and then it gives you fuel costs per trip. My commute costs about $8/day for gas and $1.50 in tolls.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep a paper log and enter the data into a spreadsheet every once in a while. I recently upgraded my Garmin which has a built in ap I've started to use. You update it every time you fill up and then it gives you fuel costs per trip. My commute costs about $8/day for gas and $1.50 in tolls.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
I've been doing the paper log into a spreadsheet for a while, but thought I'd transfer it to the iPad so it's a little more mobile. I forget to put my little log book back in the car. The only time the Garmin makes an appearance in the E93 is when we go on road trips since the car can pretty much navigate its daily 7+ mile commute with my eyes closed.

(mixed pronouns intended)

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
It's easier to just go to Costco or Safeway, or other low-cost outlets. You'll get the lowest prices at those volume retail stations than anywhere else (even ARCO).

And let's not start a "only Shell V-Power", "you're ruining your injectors" thread.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's easier to just go to Costco or Safeway, or other low-cost outlets. You'll get the lowest prices at those volume retail stations than anywhere else (even ARCO).

And let's not start a "only Shell V-Power", "you're ruining your injectors" thread.
I'm not talking about Apps to find gasoline stations so no worries about this being a 'which gasoline should I buy thread'. This was asking about apps to track mpg data and overall fuel expenses.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I don't care about gas prices. I will only use Shell 93. I have to admit the cheaper Racetrack station a few blocks away is so crowded, you probably have to call first and make a reservation.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
I use Fuelly.com . Not sure if they have an app but they do have a mobile page. It also let's you export your data to Excel.

Simple and neat stats.

Sent from my Android phone using Bimmer App.

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
I tried a few and eventually settled on CarMinder. It works really well and tracks all kinds of stuff for me. I've been tracking my last few cars with it... and motorbikes :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't buy my cars to track fuel economy. If I cared, I would have bought a fuel miser of a car and even then I wouldn't care to track it. There is no point to tracking it anyways, what are going to change? Probably not a thing.

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
For a new car, I track my fuel economy for 1 year-but with a pen and some lined paper. Each time I fill up, I record the mpg. My 328i averaged 25.2 mpg.

Now it's time to do the same for my Porsche. I'm hoping for 23 mpg.

I am so non-technical; a throwback to a simpler, more refreshing age, when men were men and women were glad of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Right after I filler up, I write up my calculation on my printed receipt and compare it to the computer's calculation on the I-drive.
Everytime, my numbers very close to the computer.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't buy my cars to track fuel economy. If I cared, I would have bought a fuel miser of a car and even then I wouldn't care to track it. There is no point to tracking it anyways, what are going to change? Probably not a thing.
True, I didn't buy the car for fuel economy, but am curious by nature and like to play with my tech toys.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
The is no point in tracking it OTHER than for the fun of it. :)

I do like though that I can see what my previous best MPG are, where my gas was bought, how I am trending against other cars (same or different models)...I just like stats. :) Fuelly also tells you HOW gaining 1 mpg would have affected your last receipt and tracks how much you have spent on gas for the year and other neat stuff. Anyway...

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
The is no point in tracking it OTHER than for the fun of it. :)
I dunno; I've had at least one time when a problem with my car (my 330i) was telegraphed by a sudden and unexplained drop in mpg. I got 25-26mpg consistently out of the car and after two tanks of 22mpg I started hunting for a reason. I found early signs of a head gasket leak (which eventually blew out when I ignored it for another week)... but at least I was prepared for that HG problem because I knew it was coming. After the HG repair I was back to 25-26mpg consistently until I sold the car.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
I dunno; I've had at least one time when a problem with my car (my 330i) was telegraphed by a sudden and unexplained drop in mpg. I got 25-26mpg consistently out of the car and after two tanks of 22mpg I started hunting for a reason. I found early signs of a head gasket leak (which eventually blew out when I ignored it for another week)... but at least I was prepared for that HG problem because I knew it was coming. After the HG repair I was back to 25-26mpg consistently until I sold the car.
There is that! :thumbup:

Definitely helpful for early warning signs. A sudden drop most observant owners realize though without a written record. A smaller consisten drop that slowly gets worse may be another story though, and there the written record may really help.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
I think Kat and I and probably many of other festers are just curious about stuff. I enjoy finding out everything I can about my car... that's why I'm here. Gasoline data is cheap to collect and interesting. In my head, I'm currently working on a way to measure drive train losses by observing mileage statistics. I think I have it worked out but would need to spend a few hours collecting data. Stay tuned on that one.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I just use a German fuel consumption data website. Click on the signature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.