BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says. I replaced my fuel filter and not my gauge is not reading properly. I just put some fuel system cleaner in and filled the tank but it showed 1/4 tank. After driving a couple miles the gauge went up slightly. I am assuming I got a line caught in the float and will have to open it back up.

My question is in my search I noticed a lot of talk about a left and a right level sensor. Does anyone know how this system works? I do not remember any wiring coming from the other side of the tank where the other access port is located.

Thanks

·
Registered
942 Posts
This doesn't help you but every once in a while (maybe every 5-6 fill ups from empty) my gas gauge takes an hour or so to reach the full mark. Usually it springs right up to full as intended but not always.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I opened it back up and found two issues. The float was stuck and I found a piece that had come dislodged at the bottom of the tank. The part connected to the bottom of the poly/plastic top cover. It attached to the underside of the fill port. Not sure what it is there for but it had a spring loaded type of valve in it. My guess is it prevents air from entering the tank and only opens when the gas is flowing to the tank. It is a tight fit so I am not sure if I knocked it off or not or it has been that way for awhile. Anyway the level now works fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.

The part that was dislodged is not in the parts breakdown so it took me awhile to figure it out.

·
Anti-Hack
5,133 Posts
That is a check valve. From what I can tell it prevents pressure bleed down.

I was actually going to suggest it may have fallen off; I found it dislodged twice. Once, when I removed the pump module to replace the filter, and the second time, when I went back in to the tank after I noticed delayed start issues after replacing the filter. It got knocked out when knocking off the module retaining ring.

In order to ensure mine stayed in place when reinstalling the ring, I removed it, reversed the metal toothed washer, reinstalled, and then cranked down a heavy duty zip tie on the female part of of the module.

By the way, if you didn't replace the retaining clip on the hose that goes to the lower nipple on the filter, you should have. Even if the clip does not come off with the filter, the hose won't stay attached. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I did replace the clip. Also I noticed you have given good suggestions in the stalling thread. Since I replaced the filter my problems got worse. Now that I have found this issue some of those are gone. It has been under 90f here so I ill have to wait till the temps increase to see if it fixed my other issues.

I was actually going to suggest it may have fallen off; I found it dislodged twice. Once, when I removed the pump module to replace the filter, and the second time, when I went back in to the tank after I noticed delayed start issues after replacing the filter. It got knocked out when knocking off the module retaining ring.

In order to ensure mine stayed in place when reinstalling the ring, I removed it, reversed the metal toothed washer, reinstalled, and then cranked down a heavy duty zip tie on the female part of of the module.

By the way, if you didn't replace the retaining clip on the hose that goes to the lower nipple on the filter, you should have. Even if the clip does not come off with the filter, the hose won't stay attached. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to mention that this check valve is a tight fit and am not sure how it can fall out. I am wondering if the poly/plastic cover gets hot and allows it to fall out. The whole cover is only like $40 so if I find mine has fallen again i will replace the whole assembly.

·
Anti-Hack
5,133 Posts
It does feel tight, but repeated whacks with the hammer to remove the retaining ring are apparently enough to let it fall out. In my case, twice. I bet if you opened it back up (hopefully you didn't fill up yet to check for leaks, like I did) you'll find it sitting on the bottom of the tank. In lieu of a zip tie, I'd prefer a hose clamp, but didn't have any on hand at the time.

Do you have the M54? If you still continue to have issues issues I'd look at the VANOS o rings I'd previously posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts