BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello: I recently purchased my 2005 BMW X5. After getting stranded due to a fuel gauge reading 3/4 tank I found it never goes below that. From my assumption the sender is faulty. I went to Pelican Parts and found a left hand and a right hand sender. How can there be two senders doing the same thing? Is there a difference for different cars? Are the new cheap ones any good? Would anyone recommend just putting a replacement old one in?

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are two sides of the tank. The driver side send fuel to the passenger side. The passenger side has the actual pump. You can see both readings on your cluster. YouTube it, there's a video of a guy showing you how to get to it because you need a pin which is adding the last 5 or 4 digits of your Vin.
Hello: I recently purchased my 2005 BMW X5. After getting stranded due to a fuel gauge reading 3/4 tank I found it never goes below that. From my assumption the sender is faulty. I went to Pelican Parts and found a left hand and a right hand sender. How can there be two senders doing the same thing? Is there a difference for different cars? Are the new cheap ones any good? Would anyone recommend just putting a replacement old one in?

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Ditto the comments above. If you UNLOCK your instrument cluster (as stated...you tube and google is your friend...this is a much discussed topic). Once unlocked...you can do TEST 6 which will show you the data from the left fuel level sensor and the right level sensor plus the approx total amount of fuel (in liters) in the tank.

Unfortunately you have done like so many news of late...and not give any indication of which model you have (we need the suffix after the X5...what would e39 forum members say if on that forum you only said you have an e39 5_ _?) ...so helping you with the instruction to unlock your cluster is difficult because there are two types of clusters...high & low...and the instructions are slightly different as well as how to read the information from the cluster since they are also different. :(

The second screen of TEST 6 shows either PHASE 1, 2, or 3...which identifies if the sensors are OK (PHASE 1) or if there is an issue (PHASE 2, or 3).

See the info below which shows how the fuel tank is bifurcated (has two halves) and how there's a pump that draws fuel from one side to the other:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.