BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up on fuel last night and the gauge showed full.

Started the car this morning and saw a meager ¼ tank. :(

Car was calling for fuel by end of day, but took only $10 worth.

Interestingly, the gauge had been going down throughout the day, but after fill-up it didn’t move from empty.

I now must keep track of my miles and fill up every 200 miles or so, to be safe.

Any way this may resolve itself or anything minor I can do in lieu of dealer visit?

Thanks. :|

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have same issue. When my Indy scanned it showed an error code on left fuel sender. Only issue is that there is no access under seat to change out left fuel sender...only the right one.

Currently trying to figure out a plan on this. We think we may switch out the right one ($65 part) to see if it fixes the issue.

Only other choice right now is switch out fuel tank. ...$1K

I hate having to watch the mileage every week to make sure I don't run out of fuel… Will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Argh; how annoying.

Interesting we're both running 2011's; are these programmed to fail!?

How many miles have you decided upon before refueling?

Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes that is interesting about the 2011s....

I usually go about 300 miles.

I do check the tank level in the hidden menu once I get to around 250 miles

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes that is interesting about the 2011s....

I usually go about 300 miles.

I do check the tank level in the hidden menu once I get to around 250 miles
Do tell about this hidden menu; how do I find same?

If the sensor isn't pushing info to the gauge, I'd imagine no accurate reading would be available anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see menu items of range and tank in the video, but I guess what I'm asking is how would this help?

Haven't tried same yet, but wouldn't the range and tank figures be zero, just as our fuel gauge is?

·
Registered
137 Posts
In my case, the tank levels show for the right side tank in liters. (Left reads 0) I use this to approximate the range I have left to drive on that tank of gas.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer states my car needs a new tank! :|

Thankfully, I have an extended warranty.

Insane the whole tanks needs replacement.

I also learned the tank drops from the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ugh...I figured that would be the fix. I unfortunately am past warranty so I will just keep counting miles for now...lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dealer states my car needs a new tank! :|

Thankfully, I have an extended warranty.

Insane the whole tanks needs replacement.

I also learned the tank drops from the bottom of the car.
It never ends with these cars - the failure rates of so many different components is so unacceptable. How he hell does a fuel tank on a modern car fail? Somehow Japan Inc has figured out how to make cars last - why can't the Germans?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugh...I figured that would be the fix. I unfortunately am past warranty so I will just keep counting miles for now...lol
Sorry; add and claim later?

It never ends with these cars - the failure rates of so many different components is so unacceptable. How he hell does a fuel tank on a modern car fail? Somehow Japan Inc has figured out how to make cars last - why can't the Germans?
Lutz got it wrong!

Sheer Driving Pleasure = It Never Ends

1 - 13 of 13 Posts