BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would keep the fuel injectors from opening? The car runs with a shot of ether. I know it has spark. I know the pump inside the car right under the backseat is working, i havent checked the one under the car yet, i can smell gas in the engine compartment, but the person i got the car from said the injectors are not opening. I have 2 dme's.the only thing i can see that is missing is the mass airflow sensor. Would that keep the car from starting, I bought one, just havent gotten it yet, i didnt think it wuld keep it from running, just thought it would run bad. are there any relays or fuses that give the injectors power? Any help is appreciated. Thanks Rick

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem. We used some start engine stuff and it started and ran for 5secs. We were checking to see if there were any problems with the car. Found out the water pump needed to be replaced. We also didnt have the airfilter or mass air flow meter on and i believe that does stop it from starting. We also thought it might of been the fuel pumps so we tested the relays and they were good, and we tested the pumps by bypassing the relays and put a direct connection so the fuel pump was always running. Thats how we drained the old gas. Our next step after the water pump is replaced is to clean the fuel injectors to see if that is the problem. I will let you know the progress on that. Please let me know if you figure out anything with your car.

William

·
Registered
37 Posts
Update

Any updates Rick?

Did you get your mass airflow sensor yet? Did you clean your injectors?

I just replaced the water pump and timing belt. I will let you know this weekend if we get it started. I plan on getting some good gas and fuel injector cleaner and see if that helps. I will let you know soon.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
there's a fuse for the fuel pump...and also there is a relay for the fuel pump in the bank pf relays just left of the fuse box...on the whell well...i think...there's 3 differnt relays there and one is for the fuel pump

·
Registered
37 Posts
water pump and timing belt on

I got the water pump and timing belt on and put it all together and tried to start it again and all i got was it to turn over. We shot some starter fluid in the intake and it started up so we still have spark ( just replaced those). Now were troubleshooting the fuel injectors? Do you think it could be fuel pressurre regulator? we know gas is going along and threw the fuel rail becuase we feel it. I am going to test the electrical stuff with an ohm meter and let you know what i find. but if anybody has any ideas or tips please let me know. I cant to put this baby back on the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
update

The fuel pump relay gets power and test out good. The fuses look good. The cold start injector also gets the 12volts its suppose to and so do the injectors. So now i think we are going to check the grounds at the ecu. But one thing we find that is weird is that the fuel pump doesnt turn on when you turn the key over. Any thoughts? we also think that the fuel rail doesnt hold enough presure. Any other troubleshooting thoughts???

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
86 325 ES: yeah they say you can hear the fuel pump...but I've never been able to hear mine, and I changed it out and put my ear right next to it...but my car has the inner tank pump ...so really it has two fuel puimps...although I think they call the tank pump a transfer pump...it's on top of the tank right side...you pull out the backseat and there it is...not sure if your car is set up like this...
how's the fuel filter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey

I think all 325e's had 2 fuel pumps up to 1987. Mine has the same. I dont hear it when i turn the key over, but i do hear it when we by pass the relay and make a it run all the time. So we know it works. I bought a new fuel filter, just havent put it in. We still think its something to do electrically or in the ignition sequence. Might be the ecu?? I am going to test the ground wires on the injectors on the ecu in a few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts