BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '96 328i was running rough on the freeway. The RPM's were not moving but the needle that show the gas mileage was jumping from 40 to 10 and back. It quickly went lower until I exited and pulled in a gas station where it stalled. My gas guage showed 1/4 of a tank but after I filled it with gas, it started and I was able to drive it home. Can anyone help me narrow it down?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fuel pump maybe? Generally if the fuel pump goes out you can go however long the gas that has already settled will take you, then the vehicle will die. Who knows, though--I'm not mechanic. This is a question for someone else, I believe.

·
Spitfire
609 Posts
Welcome to the 'Fest mate !
Could be youre fuel lever sensor gone haywire, or it has gone haywire because of very little gas ?
Is the car running properly now and the pump also? Is it idling properly with out smoke, starting properly ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel Level Sensor

It seems to be running fine so far. I hesitated looking at the fuel pump since I replaced it last year. It's not smoking but it seems to take a bit longer to start in the morning. Is there a way to test the fuel level sensor or should I just replace it? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts