BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 535xi and thus far it has been a great car with no problems at all. I have had the odd occasional longer crank but nothing major. Well this morning it happened. :mad: It took the car at least 10 seconds to start and as soon as the car was in gear I got the delightful "Engine malfunction - reduced power" warning. I limped the car to the dealer (it felt like I was driving a 3 cylinder 4000 lbs car) where the car is sitting right now. :bawling: I had to complain a bit to get a BMW loaner (the dealer has both BMW loaners and Enterprise). I guess I will see what is wrong - my money is on the fuel pump.

Even the sales manager thinks it is a fuel pump (which he says is a "rare" occasion and only happens on the 2007s (I smelled the BS right away)).:bs:

Oh and for the record, 19,XXX miles on the car. The car is a July 2008 production. I only used Shell 93 octane and every 3000 miles I used redline fuel injection cleaner. The car drove fine the last couple of days.

On the upside, I have a X5 diesel loaner. Whatever desire I had for an SUV is now cured.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What are you so mad about? Are they not replacing it? Are you paying thousands? Heck, if its in stock, you'll be back in your car in a day.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
What are you so mad about? Are they not replacing it? Are you paying thousands? Heck, if its in stock, you'll be back in your car in a day.
Agreed, when mine failed the dealership had the car back to me in 6 hours. I do agree with you regarding the dealership saying it's a rare case but WTF, that is the mission statement till these problem pumps are out of circulation.

Besides, go take the X for a free ride! :thumbup:

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am mad about it because it totally screwed up my weekend - did not get anything done. Also, it will make for a short day at work to get the car back. The final thing is that the X5 loaner is leaking oil!!!!

·
Sox Fan
117 Posts
I am mad about it because it totally screwed up my weekend - did not get anything done. Also, it will make for a short day at work to get the car back. The final thing is that the X5 loaner is leaking oil!!!![/QUOTE]

ok - you win. You can be mad.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am mad about it because it totally screwed up my weekend - did not get anything done. Also, it will make for a short day at work to get the car back. The final thing is that the X5 loaner is leaking oil!!!![/QUOTE]

ok - you win. You can be mad.
I'd definitely return that loaner when your car's fixed.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think what people get peeved about is fuel pump/injector issues are really rare problems across the automotive industry on newer cars. When these problems come up there is a high chance it will leave you stranded, which gets anyone mad. Also with all the talk about it I think a lot of people don't have a whole lot of faith in packing the family up and heading out on a 800-1000 mile trip in there 08 535. Then being a BMW there is alot of open spaces in this country that the closest BMW shop could be hundreds of miles away and many small shops that won't even touch it. Great it will get fixed but it could also put a huge damper on a family vacation or anyones weekly activities.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think what people get peeved about is fuel pump/injector issues are really rare problems across the automotive industry on newer cars. When these problems come up there is a high chance it will leave you stranded, which gets anyone mad. Also with all the talk about it I think a lot of people don't have a whole lot of faith in packing the family up and heading out on a 800-1000 mile trip in there 08 535. Then being a BMW there is alot of open spaces in this country that the closest BMW shop could be hundreds of miles away and many small shops that won't even touch it. Great it will get fixed but it could also put a huge damper on a family vacation or anyones weekly activities.
+1 Well put - I sure as hell will be mad "when" the pump goes out in my "yet to be delivered" 535. It's a human reaction - you pay a bunch, you want to enjoy the car, but then have to hassle with repairs. I travel for work every week so it would be a major pain for me. I am planning a road trip to Illinois this winter and part of mapping the trip involves documenting BMW dealerships at frequent intervals. I don't think Ms. Wesleyan would have approved this lease if she knew all the facts about the pump :D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I think a lot of people don't have a whole lot of faith in packing the family up and heading out on a 800-1000 mile trip in there 08 535.
Unfortunately true.... When the family (just 2 of us + a pair of boxers) goes on a trip, the Volvo always gets the call to duty. Comfortable on long trips, but less fun to drive.

When I go on a trip by myself, though - I'll take the 535i. :) I've got a business trip coming up this week and I'll take the bimmer.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sheez, let's create the worst case scenario possible - only problem is that's not even close to what happened. No one was stranded and it didn't happen in South Dakota during the family trip to Mt. Rushmore. The guy's out of a couple of hours tops, no money and gets a new BMW SUV as a loaner.

IF your scenario happened, yes, I'd be stomping and crying and insulting my dealership too like this guy. But it didn't.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
+1 Well put - I sure as hell will be mad "when" the pump goes out in my "yet to be delivered" 535. It's a human reaction - you pay a bunch, you want to enjoy the car, but then have to hassle with repairs. I travel for work every week so it would be a major pain for me. I am planning a road trip to Illinois this winter and part of mapping the trip involves documenting BMW dealerships at frequent intervals. I don't think Ms. Wesleyan would have approved this lease if she knew all the facts about the pump :D
And if the HPFP fails and strands Ms. Wesleyan, she will be even less disposed to have approved the lease. You might even be in for a period of martial strife if you had advocated strongly for the 535i lease....:yikes:

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Sheez, let's create the worst case scenario possible - only problem is that's not even close to what happened. No one was stranded and it didn't happen in South Dakota during the family trip to Mt. Rushmore. The guy's out of a couple of hours tops, no money and gets a new BMW SUV as a loaner.

IF your scenario happened, yes, I'd be stomping and crying and insulting my dealership too like this guy. But it didn't.
Unfortunately, there are a number of instances where owners of cars with the N54 engine have been stranded out in the middle of nowhere. One was stuck 4 hours to the nearest dealer after waiting close to 8 hours for the flatbed to arrive.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I guess that makes me happy about my 530xi. Although the kick in HP is terrific. I drove a 535 and 335, way faster than my 530xi!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad it happened on the weekend - so no harm no foul in that regard. My girlfriend took the car the night before - and she was 50 miles away from home. That would have been a disaster.

What got me upset is was that the dealership guy did not comprehend that I was on my way to drop off the car and there were was a problem. It was like talking to a wall. What is sad is that my girlfriend has a Mercedes and that dealership bends over backwards for service (we would have probably had a loaner delivered to our house).

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
I guess it depends on the dealership. Mine in NH has been great in so many respects!

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
I guess it depends on the dealership. Mine in NH has been great in so many respects!
A responsive dealership can actually avert a lemon law proceeding. There was one BFer who had multiple HPFP failures, but was treated royally by the dealership each time. Once the lease was up on the problem car, they rolled into another 535i lease and so far, haven't experienced the HPFP failure.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Sure the scenario is a rare one. But you don't need to be in the middle of S.D. to run into an issue of no dealership for miles and miles. In WI for example there is many parts that you could be over 3 hours away from a dealership yet by no means be in the middle of nowhere.

I know BMW stepped up to the plate and took ownership in the problem. But that doesn't fix the reputation that has been earned.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I sent you a PM with a link to file a complaint with NHTSA. It's bad that we have to file complaints, but that's the best way to make recalls happen. If people do not report defects, then patterns will never be detected.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the information. The dealership (after having worked on the car for a day) has confirmed that it was the fuel pump. Now they are also reprogramming my car. I am hoping to have the car back tonight:thumbup:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts