BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 328i 5 speed with 170,000 miles. I am not sure if the fuel pump has been replaced by any of the previous owners. The car is suffering from a no start condition in the mornings and after it has sat for long enough to cool down. After I turn the ignition to position 2 30 times, only then will the fuel pump prime itself. The 30 number is random since I have noticed that the colder it is outside the more turns of the ignition is needed before the pump wakes up and this morning it was 38 degrees. Once the car is fired up and if i let it drop back down to idle it will stall. The only way I can keep it alive is if I rev it around 3000 rpm to ensure enough fuel is dumped through the injectors. Once the car is alive and still cold the rpms drop by 200 every 7 seconds (almost like clockwork). Once the coolant temperature hits 140 the idle flattens out and I could drive it across country if I wanted. I have noticed that after I let it sit for an hour in the middle of the day and come back to start it I don't hear the fuel pump prime but there is still enough fuel pressure that I can fire it up and keep it revved.

In my mind this is the pump pulsing and not finding the signal because of a failure? Could the check valve cause this issue? Leaky injector? Fuel fitler? I swapped out the fuel pump relay with the horn relay and it didn't make a difference. I read another forum that said an ignition switch might be at fault, which makes sense. The only check engine light I have is for the Leak Detection pump (LDP) P1477.

I hope to check fuel pressure and do a leak down test but i'd like some opinions before I start the journey so I can know what to look for.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
If the pump is original it's gone past the point where most are reported to fail. If you don't hear the whirring sound when you turn the ignition on it's a sign the pump is toast. Don;t buy the replacement from AutoZone.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
If the pump is original it's gone past the point where most are reported to fail. If you don't hear the whirring sound when you turn the ignition on it's a sign the pump is toast. Don;t buy the replacement from AutoZone.
That last part is advice you should take. Parts stores pumps suck. I used them for two customer cars (van and a f150) and both pumps died in 6 months. Buy OEM pumps. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.