BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the fuel tank lock ring came off easy enough so I could inspect my fuel pump. Now the darn lock ring is just not engaging with the treads on the tank neck. I can see where the marks are on the lock ring so I cam return it to the original position. My problem is the lock ring pops off as I rotate it. So frustrated for something that should be straight forward. I tried screwing it on without the fuel pump and sending unit. Lock ring goes on with no problem. So the sending unit must be sitting high enough to give me grief. I've been making sure the collapsable leg with the spring is seated in the tank, but how hard are you suppose to push down on the cover? I'm expecting for something to snap mintue. No DYI write ups I've come across mentions this grief. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it! I figured out that I needed to install the gasket on the tank opening before I placed the sending unit lid on. So, it was all buttoned up before I came back on the forum to see the dyi video. I went ahead and watched it to see his approach.

1. You don't need to remove the rear seat back to do this job; removing the seat bottom gives you all the access you'll need.
2. You don't have to remove the plastic carpet trim at the door opening.
3. You don't need to pull the carpet back either.
4. If you cut the perforations on the sound insulation with a knife or single edged razor and leave enough to let it fold back instead of tearing it off like the guy in the video then you have a flap instead of a separate piece of insulation.
5. Install the rubber seal right after you seat the fuel pump assy and before you place the sending unit on the tank. Thia way you don't have to work around the lid like he did.
6. He should've marked original postion of the locking ring before he removed it. The locking has to be clocked for an easier installation and there is a notch on the locking ring that contacts ridges on the tank threads. This locks the locking ring in place. The locking ring in tight to install and you can easily think it's locked when it really isn't.

As they say, "there is more than one way to skin a cat".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took me about two hours to figure this out when I change my fuel pump. Now I don't feel so bad for making that mistake too
Lol! I'll admit, it had me stumped for awhile.:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Am currently trying to replace the fuel sensor in my e39 and I'm having the opposite problem where I can't get the lock ring off.

I've seen quite a few YouTube videos where (like in the video above) they use a hammer and a flat-head screwdriver but unlike in the videos mine just does not want to budge.

Does anyone have any ideas on another way to get it off?

Thanks in advance

·
Wingnut
5,187 Posts
there is a special tool for removing the lock ring i hear, but its pricey though they say. sounds like the lock ring is just stuck from being on there a long time...or have you removed it before? if removed before, make sure nothing on the ring got distorted and is blocking it from releasing. if its a first time removal, work "around the clock" tapping on the different tabs til it releases.
happy camping!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks. Managed to get it off using the 'around the clock' method. Thanks very much

But now I have a new problem....in trying to install the new fuel sensor I accidently dropped a small clamp into the tank when installing the hose to the fuel pump (it is a tight angle)...I've tried a magnet but can't locate it amongst the fuel. Is it ok to leave it in there or do I need to syphon out the fuel and find it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts