BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I am a novice to this forum, but I've read a lot of useful information since my adventure with my BMW has started. I tried not to bother anyone, but the day and a half that I had wasted looking for the reason to my problem made me go for an advice of a pro.
So, the problem: It all started with a rear parking bulb going bad. After a couple of minutes the other 3 went down, but the bulbs of these 3 are OK. Instead the stop lights took the role of the parking lights, lightning dimmer when as parking lights and brighter when I press the brake pedal. Reading a lot of info I came to believe that the LCM is the problem. Can it be fixed? Or just replacement is the solution? Please advice me about what can be done, I will be very grateful to everyone. Tnx!
P.S. The car is a 99 528i

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
This sounds like correct behaviour. When the lights burn out, the LCM detects the difference in resistance, and turns on other lights as a backup. The bulbs may look OK, but if they or the sockets have any corrosion, they may be confusing the LCM into thinking they're burned out. They could also be burned out in a less-visible manner. Non-BMW bulbs can do the same thing; BMW bulbs have nickel bases, non-OEM are usually brass. Do you have any "bulb out" warnings on the dash?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts