1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering

leather seats, sport pkg, and navi pkg 325i with AT

and sport pkg 330i with AT

I like 330's performance, but I also like 325's navigation system.

which one do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The brakes are the deal-maker for me

The 330i has MUCH bigger brakes. BMWs brakes have always been one of the reasons I stay with the marque. I haven't seen any direct tests of stopping distances comparing the 325 with 11 inch rotors to the 330 with 13 inch rotors (curiosly, the rear rotors on the 330i are larger than the fronts, which I don't think I've ever seen before on a production car - the front brakes are usually said to be more important).

Two years ago, when Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya tested each other's (previous year) racecars in a publicity stunt at Indy, what truly amazed Gordon was not how fast the Williams BMW would go fast, but how fast it would STOP, compared to the NASCAR sedan. I'm sure the difference between the 325 and 330 brakes is nothing like that, but I want the best brakes I can get if I'm going to drive a car that goes fast! :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
mulder102 said:
I'm considering

Test drive the 325. If it has enough grunt for you then you will be happy with it as long as you DON'T drive a 330.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is no question as to resale.

In a few years you will get virtually nothing for the nav but the spread between 325 and 330 will still be there so the 330 will be worth much more so this a factor you might consider.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm in the same situation.. However I don't think so that the 330i gives you the more bang for your bucks..

Here in Canada, you also have to consider the need to buy some winter wheels&tires...

I'm planning to buy a 325i + set of 4 17'' euro wheels (style 160) + set of 4 17'' runflat tires + set of 4 16'' winter tires and sell those 16'' stock tires on ebay....

At the end, I'll have 8 wheels, 12 tires... and that for only 3000$ !

That SP can look good, but you'll have to replace those tires very often...

·
Registered
124 Posts
jerrykdc said:
In a few years you will get virtually nothing for the nav but the spread between 325 and 330 will still be there so the 330 will be worth much more so this a factor you might consider.
Nav is a bad option for residual value on either. However, otherwise the retained value percentage of a 325 is higher than a 330.

·
Registered
606 Posts
mulder102 said:
I'm considering

You may want to get power seats.

·
Registered
240 Posts
mulder102 said:
Do you find yourself frequently lost?

I realize that with i-Drive it's all about the cool gadget factor rather than real utility but still...$2200?

I find that I use freeway on-ramps, need to pass other, larger vehicals at speed, and enjoy driving fast on Mulholland and through the canyons far more often than I find myself lost.

Eh, just me I guess...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Trying 325i and 330i back-to-back, I didn't feel any difference in breaking. I thing the bigger brakes will hold longer and dissipate heat more easily on the track, but you are into more sedate driving, you'll never notice the difference...

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
jerrykdc said:
Not as much as you'd expect. After a few years, there isn't a huge gap in the price of a 325 and 330. I've got some used 325s and 330s that are similar in age and equipment, and they are VERY close in price-- in some cases, I could sell the 330 within a few hundred dollars of the 325.

·
Registered
438 Posts
330i stripper... :thumbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
RandyB said:
330i stripper... :thumbup:
I got my 330i with leatherette and sport and basically nothing else. I love it! I spent about $38,000 on the car. (1K off sticker).

Some bonuses on the 330i stripper over the 325:

1. Bigger Brakes. 13 inch versus 11 inch.
2. Logic 7 stereo standard. I am loving this stereo!
3. 18 inch wheels on the sport package. (they look so much better on the car)
4. Resale value will always be higher on the 330i.
5. So far, the pinnacle of performance for the e90.
6. Xenon headlights standard

My opinion is that if you wanted gadgets and such, you could save money by buying an Acura TL, Lexus or Infiniti. They are all cheaper and offer better standard equipment for the price. If you are considering a BMW, you are a DRIVING enthusiast. Why not have the best BMW 3 of the bunch (30 more hp, bigger brakes), with the best driving dynamics available in this model? The price of a well equipped 325 is very close to what I paid for my 330i. If you like gadgets, get the fully loaded 325. It's still a great car and plenty sporty. But if you mainly like spirited driving, and don't care so much for bells and whistles (unless you count Xenon lights standard as gadgetry) I would go for the 330i. (and I did).

·
Loving the 'Fest
101 Posts
CC 330i said:
4. Resale value will always be higher on the 330i.
Sorry, bud, but the 325i has always had higher resale value. The E90 will not change that.

CC 330i said:
If you are considering a BMW, you are a DRIVING enthusiast. Why not have the best BMW 3 of the bunch, with the best driving dynamics available in this model? The price of a well equipped 325 is very close to what I paid for my 330i. I thought I would never do without leather, but I don't really miss it.
So, I assume then that you will trade in your 330i when the 335i hits the streets? You ARE a driving enthusiast, aren't you? :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
118 Posts
dortega said:
Sorry, bud, but the 325i has always had higher resale value. The E90 will not change that.
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean you get more for the used 325 than a used 330, or the depreciation percentage is higher on the 330i? What I was saying is that yes, you pay less for a 325 to start with, but you also get less money for it when you sell it. Are you saying that a used 325 will sell for more than a 330i. Maybe the depreciation PERCENTAGE is greater on the 330i, but I am/was not aware that it was. I'll take your word for it, but maybe you would be so kind as to show me some supporting evidence of this.

dortega said:
So, I assume then that you will trade in your 330i when the 335i hits the streets? You ARE a driving enthusiast, aren't you? :thumbdwn:
Yes I am a driving enthusiast. In fact, the day after I picked up my 330i, I drove PCH through Big Sur in both directions. It took all day, but it was really fun. My wife came along, and she was a great sport, considering the DTC was working overtime! We saw 2 Bentley Continentals, a Carrera GT and a Ferrari Testarossa. I even had to pass one Bentley (and scores of other cars) because he was driving too slow. We got lots of nice compliments in Carmel when we stopped for a snack. Here are some pics from the day....

Will I trade in my 330i on the 335 when it comes out? Maybe, and quite possibly. Problem was, I needed a car this month, and the 330i was the best 3 available NOW. That's all I said. I considered an Audi S4 before this car, but economics got the better of me. I think that the 330i (sport package) had better handling feel than the S4, and enough power for the chassis. The S4 had MUCH better standard equipment, but cost 10K more. The resale value was also terrible on the S4. The 335 would have split the difference for me as far as cost/performance. I am a driving enthusiast, but I can't wait for the "next" best car all the time or I would be walking. I alsd thought that $40K was just about what I wanted to spend.

Do I detect a note of animosity in your post? Geez, lighten up :thumbup:

·
Loving the 'Fest
101 Posts
CC 330i said:
I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean you get more for the used 325 than a used 330, or the depreciation percentage is higher on the 330i?
Resale value is commonly expressed as a % of the original price. Resale on the 330i is lower than the 325i. Meaning, the premium paid for the 330i will slowly dwindle over the years. In other words, the 330i will depreciate at a quicker pace than the 325i. The future sale price (the residual) may be higher on the 330i, but it's a moot point considering the 330i commanded a higher initial selling price.

This is not a selling point whatsoever for the 330i.

CC 330i said:
Yes I am a driving enthusiast. Will I trade in my 330i on the 335 when it comes out? Maybe, and quite possibly. Problem was, I needed a car this month, and the 330i was the best 3 available NOW. That's all I said. I considered an Audi S4 before this car, but economics got the better of me. I think that the 330i (sport package) had better handling feel than the S4, and enough power for the chassis. The S4 had MUCH better standard equipment, but cost 10K more. The resale value was also terrible on the S4. The 335 would have split the difference for me as far as cost/performance. I am a driving enthusiast, but I can't wait for the "next" best car all the time or I would be walking. I alsd thought that $40K was just about what I wanted to spend.

Do I detect a note of animosity in your post? Geez, lighten up :thumbup:
I can appreciate the fact that you love cars

However, your efforts are ill placed if you think you HAVE to have the best 3-series to be a driving enthusiast. That seems to be your tone. The reality is that all 3-series share largely the same level of dynamics. The distinction mostly comes from bodystyles and powerplants.

Horsepower and torque make your car fast; the love of driving and cars makes you a car enthusiast. Remember that. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't forget, the 330i also comes stock with Xenons!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Difference not much

I did a brief comparison of 325 and 330 E90 based on official prices that was posted here yesterday. Given that the 330 comes with better seats, Xenon and Logic 7 as std equipment, the diff in price is about $2K for similar cars. So that's pretty cheap for more horses and better brakes, no?

·
Registered
337 Posts
My experience with convertibles is different.

At least in my area, used convertible 330s are much higher priced than 325s. What I was saying is that if there is a choice between Nav versus a 330, my experience in convertibles has been that the resale value of a 330 will be higher than a 325 with Nav.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buy a map and the 330 IMO, but that is my opinion. You have to decide what is important. Forget resale as a major factor, that doesn't add or subtract any of the fun factor. If you like toys in your ride get the nav system. If you want more power, go with the 330. Either way you are buying a great car that will be admired. Happy hunting.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts