BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving in downtown Philadelphia yesterday with the top down when I came across an "interesting" guy while I was stopped at a light. He didn't quite look like a homeless person, but let's just say he was a little rough around the edges, and might have been starting happy hour early.

He looked at me and asked "is that a Mustang?" I tried not to sound like a smackass yuppie, but answered "no, it's a BMW". "British Motor Works" he responded with a nod... "do you know you could have saved like ten thousand dollars if you bought that in England". I just shrugged and smiled, and said "yea, I know". :D

·
Registered
12,204 Posts
haha, I can picture it happening. You ever noticed how some bums are sooooo burnt out. I have had a couple very interesting words with a couple myself. Almost always good for a kick. The ones I hate are the ones that come up to you claiming that there is a urgent dire emergency and they need MY money.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ff said:
Sure beats all the bums that try to talk about divine spirituality, and the time they met God for lunch at McDonalds.
There's a guy who frequents a block around here that likes to have loud conversations about aliens while talking into a pay phone. I think the pay phone is a really nice touch - it adds an air of authenticity, as if there just might be someone listening on the other end of the phone :thumbup:

I have compassion for the truly mentally ill, but I have to admit some of these guys are a riot to listen to. My British Motor Works buddy didn't seem to be at all deranged, just a bit confused, and "comfortably numb".

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
dredmo said:
The ones I hate are the ones that come up to you claiming that there is a urgent dire emergency and they need MY money.
This is one of very few things that I don't miss about living in CA. It seemed like each and every time I went outside someone asked for money...and to sign petitions. It suppose it could have been worse...I could have lived up north around the Bay Area. :p

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
E46 in Philly said:

There's a guy who frequents a block around here that likes to have loud conversations about aliens while talking into a pay phone.

Not knowing who or what might have touched the pay phone is the main reason I broke down and bought a cell phone some years back. One day I picked one up and only after I had a solid grip did I realive that it was covered in some kind of slime. I don't even want to know what it was. Bought my phone the next day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kyle said:
I once came to an intersection where a homless guy was parked with a sign that said, "I will not lie. I want beer." I gave him a little change for being original--and honest.
I agree as long as they're honest about it I will perhaps give some change....I hate the peeps who say they need gas money to get to another part of town.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Some guys seem to have a 'gig' rehearsed.

I had lunch with a friend today and as we were standing by our cars in a mall parking lot. I see a guy making a beeline for us carrying one of those red gas containers in his hand.

He approached and said that his car ran out of gas and if we had any spare change.

If he's legit and really had a car that ran out of gas, then I'm not paying for someone else to drive their own car. I've got 2 that need constant filling up as is.

His dental work (or lack thereof) made me strongly suspect that he was panhandling. He took off and started looking in parked cars.

·
Registered
979 Posts
"do you know you could have saved like ten thousand dollars if you bought that in England"

Well, thats just hokey for a start.

You get Jaguar's built in England, shipped all the way to the US, with more equipment, for less than you can get the equivalent model in the UK. :tsk:

Other than that, certainly a strong contender for a sfo bay area BMW dealer :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts