BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my car at the dealer at the moment.

As I was talking to the tech guy, he asked the car key, I gave him and he put into the key-reader thingy which we know from the E65. And Voila ! the current mileage, and the VIN number was on the monitor.

I didn't know that our keys could keep the data of this stuff. :confused:

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Huh? that sounds pretty freaky. Aye...:eek:

That key-reader thingy, what's the technical name?
I had a picture somewhere. It's small blue box with a slot in front of it.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Great pic!

So let me get this right. The tech placed your E46 key into the slot and the current mileage and VIN are known? :confused:

What about other info? :)
Well, frankly, I haven't seen anything else. But the VIN and the current mileage was definitely there, to my surprise.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Great pic!

So let me get this right. The tech placed your E46 key into the slot and the current mileage and VIN are known? :confused:

What about other info? :)

Do I smell another project for Vince:dunno: :yikes:

·
Registered
738 Posts
The E65/66 key will store data such as mileage to next service and condition of several wear items. It also allows the dealers to pull up any fault codes without actually having the car. On the older models, it does not store this info but it will still store the VIN and the mileage.

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
KP said:
Perhaps the key encoded protection system chip keeps record of these things?
Each key is coded for a specific car so it would make sense to use the VIN as no two vechicles have the same one. The VIN stored on the key needs to match the VIN stored on a chip on the car or no start.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I read somewhere in some E65 tech info that the self-charging style key on other current models store the VIN and mileage at the least. WIth that, and the fact that the odometer reading is stored in the cluster and the light switch, rolling back the odometer would be pretty tough...

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kaz said:
I read somewhere in some E65 tech info that the self-charging style key on other current models store the VIN and mileage at the least. WIth that, and the fact that the odometer reading is stored in the cluster and the light switch, rolling back the odometer would be pretty tough...
But my key is not self-charge :confused:

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

But my key is not self-charge :confused:
The two "main" keys both have batteries in them, to power the remote funtions and keep the chip memory intact. The batteries recharge when you drive with them in the ignition. The manual says you should use each key at least once a year to keep the battery alive.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ERK said:

The two "main" keys both have batteries in them, to power the remote funtions and keep the chip memory intact. The batteries recharge when you drive with them in the ignition. The manual says you should use each key at least once a year to keep the battery alive.
Not mine (8/1999). I must replace the batteries, didn't have to till yet, though.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Huh? :D

Ya, I would buy that key-reader thingy, walk around town and ask Bimmer owners to insert their keys. And say "Ah-ha! Your mileage is XXXX! Congrats!" :lmao:

I am just a bit paranoid, y'know. :confused: :eek: Perhaps there is a nano-GPS chip in the key. And a centralised tracking system somewhere at BMWNA. Ok, time to stop visiting those adult bookstores already...j/k! :eek:

PM 325xiT said:

Do I smell another project for Vince:dunno: :yikes:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Huh? :D

Ya, I would buy that key-reader thingy, walk around town and ask Bimmer owners to insert their keys. And say "Ah-ha! Your mileage is XXXX! Congrats!" :lmao:

I am just a bit paranoid, y'know. :confused: :eek: Perhaps there is a nano-GPS chip in the key. And a centralised tracking system somewhere at BMWNA. Ok, time to stop visiting those adult bookstores already...j/k! :eek:

No not buy one.................build your own:tsk: I thought it was the challenge that kept you going:dunno:

Be careful not to stop by a Mercedes dealer wither they really frown on comparison shopping:lmao: Oh and we all believe the j/k:rolleyes: :bigpimp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.