BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have owned my Bimmer for a few months now and just started having this odd noise intermediately. I am not sure what is going on, I am mechanically inclined but this noise is mind boggling.

I have taken a video to help with diagnosis

http://youtu.be/HCh_v2GCHm4

Any help would be wonderful. I love this baby and can't afford the $200 mechanic "inspection fee"

·
Keeping it surreal
43,233 Posts
Sounds like it could be a bad idler pulley. Take a spray bottle with water in it, and squirt some on the pullies. If the noise goes away, you found your problem.

Tip:
Use a 3-foot piece of garden hose like a doctor`s stethoscope to help pinpoint those noises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Fast Bob,

Thanks for the response. I will try that today. I've only put 3k miles on the car which is now at 117k, it appears the previous owner sold it without doing any 100k scheduled maintenance.

The only thing done was VANOS with a used unit and valve cover gasket.

I've done oil, filter, tranny fluid, diff fluid. I've order spark plugs since this morning I had 3 misfire codes and now considering doing full recommended maintenance, I'm still researching and learning more about the car though, 1 thing at a time.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
I'm with bob. That is belt/pulley noise. Also, was your A/C on when you made the video? It has it's own belt/tensioner. Another way to diagnose is yank the belt and start the car briefly, no noise means it is something that the belt drives making the noise.

Idler pulley is $20 and the tesnioner pulley is $30. Easy to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AC was not on during the filming of this video.

Would I want/need to replace the belt when I replace this pulleys? Do I want to replace the idler pulley and tensioner pulley at the same time? Is one specific to AC? :dunno:

Thanks for all the help!

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
AC was not on during the filming of this video.

Would I want/need to replace the belt when I replace this pulleys? Do I want to replace the idler pulley and tensioner pulley at the same time? Is one specific to AC? :dunno:

Thanks for all the help!
Hard to say without seeing the belt. If it has cracks in it, then yes, replace it. At your mileage, I would say it likely needs replacement. And yes, your A/C has it's own tensioner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts