BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to say Hello to all of you fellow Bimmer owners and members and staff of this forum.

Has anyone here had this problem? I have a 2004 X5, 4.4i. it's blowing the 10 amp fuse no.48 for the AC control unit. I've taken it to the dealer for diagnostics and they said they are not sure but they would like to start by replacing the 1HKA module which is inside the dash. the part cost over $1000. if that's not the problem then they will move to the next module but i will be stuck with the $1000 module that they will try because electrical parts are non-returnable items. this will process will go until the darn system stops blowing the fuse. it seems to me, even the dealership are not sure of what they are doing. whatever happened to "qualified BMW Techs" that they advertised.

Can anyone please point me to the right direction?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
hello. I know from my dealings with the dual auto climate system that the final stage unit (also referred to as the final stage resistor) is known to fail on the X5. (as well as all BMWs with the dual auto climate like the e39 and e38).

The part is much less than the IHKA panel and many people change it themselves. Search around using terms like "X5 final stage" to see if you think the symptoms are similar to yours.

here is a link to the part on our website, feel free to drop me a private message via the forum should you have any questions.

www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/64116923204

If the dealer's answer is to just start throwing parts at it, start with what is known to fail. I have been an e39 owner and active on these forums under another screen name since 2005. I have only heard of a couple people replacing the IHKA panel in that time, usually because the display loses some pixels and cannot be read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ac system keeps blowing fuse

I've replaced the Final stage Resistor but unfortunately that wasn't it. Looks like i'm going to have to replace the IHKA (whatever that is). does anyone have a piture of it and have the experience of replacing it?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The IHKA is the head unit for the climate system. It needs a dealer to program it if I remember correctly. You could, however, try removing it and sending it to hollywood Speedster or the other company who do repairs to BMW control parts and place ads in the Roundel mag on a regular bases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts