Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this question has been answered, but I have not been able to find the answer.

I am hoping someone knows which fuse controls the "speaker" or mechanism that makes the sounds when door is open, seatbelt not fastened etc.
I need to know this for diagnostic purposes.

My 1998 Z3 began to make a noise today.
It sounded EXACTLY like static (such as you'd hear between stations on a radio)
The noise comes from the drivers side somewhere between the floor and the dash.
It is NOT from the radio speakers or my cell phone- although those were the first two places I looked because of the type of sound.

It is independent of speed, acceleration, or even motion of the car- in fact it persisted even after removing the key.

I have disconnected the battery.
Thinking about it, it seems to me that moat likely only a speaker (or similar device) could make such a sound. I repeat it is NOT coming from the radio speakers.

So in order to confirm my diagnosis (or in the alternative to highlight my ignorance) I would like to disable that (buzzer/gong/ ?) system...see if the noise goes away.

Any direction as to which fuse I could pull (for testing purposes only) would be helpful and very much appreciated. Or, any other ideas as to what could make a noise that I would positively swear is static.

Thanks to you all,

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
Great resource
found my model and year etc and then found the heading for chime module.
I clicked on this and up came the diagram, that includes the chime module.
Beside the line going to the chime module is the number 31.
Does this number indicate the fuse number?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is all new to me....and I am enjoying the learning.

Gary

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
If you look in the explanation for the Symbols at the beginning of the chart, and if we're talking about the same number beside the wire, you'll see that this indicates the size of the wire in sq. mm, followed by the German abbreviation for the wire color. Hope this helps - happy troubleshooting! :thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to help out.
The number in question was 31
I looked up what fuse 31 does and sure enough the warning chime is one of the things it powers.
So In the AM I will pull that fuse and see if that stops the static noise.
Then at least my search will be more focused, it will give me a staring point for my trouble shooting.
Upward and onward...

Gary

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,206 Posts
The speaker is called a "gong" one of BMW's best words. If you google it, you should get plenty of results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CCP,

Thank you for that. What a major help to have the right vocab. My searches have been much more relevant.
"Gong"....who knew.
Seems like mine has been a gong-show.

Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CCP,

Thank you for that. What a major help to have the right vocab. My searches have been much more relevant.
"Gong"....who knew.
Seems like mine has been a gong-show.

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts