BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I had my Ipad charging in the cig lighter adapter -- and my phone connected to the outlet in the arm rest (2013 535i) and didn't think anything of it. Today, I got back in the car and I noticed that neither my two phones would charge (tried multiple known good chargers) would work in either outlet.

Assuming it was a blown fuse - I went hunting around to determine which fuse was the culprit. After finding both fuse boxes (trunk + glove box) in addition to the fuse map document (was in the trunk fuse box area) -- I was unable to determine which fuse I should replace for the cig light outlets -- and being on vacation I didnt have easy access to a testing tool.

So long story short:

1. Does anyone know which fuses are for the 12v cig light adapters?
2. Does my blown fuse theory make sense on why these two outlets seem dead?

Thanks
JSZ

· Registered
852 Posts
OK - I'll take a stab at your question #2: "Does my blown fuse theory make sense on why these two outlets seem dead?"

My guess is: No. I think it does not make sense. The reason is that cigarette lighters use lots of current. I think most lighter outlets would be fused at something like 10A or more. I can't see either charger - or even both chargers together, drawing that much current.

Of course there is always the possibility that the plugs on the chargers are a crappy design and can momentarily short out while being plugged in. That would pop a fuse.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I was finally able to read the fuse 'map' and identified fuse #54 (20amp) as the culprit. Replacing it was straightforward -- but I was a bit surprised that I couldn't find (or at least identify) any extra fuses... Is not providing fuses standard in BMW's?

· Everything's Bigger in TX
7,193 Posts
Thanks for that. I currently have two blown power ports, and they are on separate circuits. I ID'd the trunk one in the rear fuse box but did not start pulling the ones under the dash.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
e 39 has extras

So I was finally able to read the fuse 'map' and identified fuse #54 (20amp) as the culprit. Replacing it was straightforward -- but I was a bit surprised that I couldn't find (or at least identify) any extra fuses... Is not providing fuses standard in BMW's?
possibly more cost cutting, If they were there would be above the first row of fuses with possibly a fuse puller,

· Registered
23 Posts
Well, you are lucky that it worked for you. My new 13 550ix had blown fuse too (#54). But when I replaced fuse it shorted insantly (nothing is plugged in sockets). Is this beginning of introduction to reliability of BMW? Car is not even week old... :dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.