BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a convertible and I need some help:
I finally got the wifey on board with my "needs" and so we've got to choose.
I've been looking at the 1996-1998 328iC for awhile in the $14-16k range. Seems like mileage is going to be 70k to 90k. I'm hesistant to buy such a high-mileage car, as I intend this to be my daily driver for the 4 years or so.
Now that the wifey is as excited as I am, she's not opposed to the idea of borrowing a little more money over a longer term (5 years versus 3) to get a newer, lower mileage car. So as it stands now, my budget is around $21,000. Knowing that we're going to have a 60 month loan now, would anyone care to offer up some advice as to what models I should be looking at?
The truth is, I like the newer models a little better, what with the glass rear window and all. Pure driving performance is actually not the highest priority for me, because the car will be used primarily for city driving with only the occaisional road trip. However, I really do want the sport package (better looking wheels) and I need the heated seat option (I'd like to drive top down in the cold).

Therefore, here are what I consider to be my choices:
1. 1997-1999 328iC
2. 2000 323iC
3. 2001 325iC

Anyone care to offer some advice? As I'm looking around at cars, what particular bugaboos should I keep an eye out for?

And last: Is is worth to pursue a BMW Certified Pre-owned vehicle? I suppose there's a bit of peice-of-mind there, but really, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
:hi: Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Maybe it's personal bias :)) ) but I think it's defintitely worth it to get an e46 over an e36 if you can afford it and still get a decent, below 100K mi. example. There are vast improvements with the model that make it worth the higher cost; the lack of a glass backlight alone would be a dealbreaker for me with an e36. And they look better too. :D You'll want to eventually get the wind blocker also. The jump from MY2000 to MY2001 offers an upgraded powerplant, but I think you will obviously have to pay more. The trade off might be higher mileage for the same price range. With BMW's, higher mileage isn't necessarily bad; it' depends on how it was taken care of and maintained. So I would say scour the earth for a good '01 325cic and you will find a good car you can afford.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with BMW/CPO to offer any advice there.

Good luck, I think you will be happy with your BMW cabrio. Keep us updated on what you find!

--J.

·
Registered
564 Posts
rasher said:
Looking for a convertible and I need some help:
I finally got the wifey on board with my "needs" and so we've got to choose.
I've been looking at the 1996-1998 328iC for awhile in the $14-16k range. Seems like mileage is going to be 70k to 90k. I'm hesistant to buy such a high-mileage car, as I intend this to be my daily driver for the 4 years or so.
Now that the wifey is as excited as I am, she's not opposed to the idea of borrowing a little more money over a longer term (5 years versus 3) to get a newer, lower mileage car. So as it stands now, my budget is around $21,000. Knowing that we're going to have a 60 month loan now, would anyone care to offer up some advice as to what models I should be looking at?
The truth is, I like the newer models a little better, what with the glass rear window and all. Pure driving performance is actually not the highest priority for me, because the car will be used primarily for city driving with only the occaisional road trip. However, I really do want the sport package (better looking wheels) and I need the heated seat option (I'd like to drive top down in the cold).

Therefore, here are what I consider to be my choices:
1. 1997-1999 328iC
2. 2000 323iC
3. 2001 325iC

Anyone care to offer some advice? As I'm looking around at cars, what particular bugaboos should I keep an eye out for?

And last: Is is worth to pursue a BMW Certified Pre-owned vehicle? I suppose there's a bit of peice-of-mind there, but really, is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
I would look for the car with good service records. Also, no matter what, get it checked out by a mechanic you trust before you buy. If you're not doing CPO, it can be worth it to know what's going on with that car. The point is not necessarily that the car be perfect (although that would be nice), but rather that you are informed about your purchase. There might be a few small things that the mechanic finds wrong, but at least you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts