BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a BMW history of producing end of model line performance upgrades? I just read so much talk of a future ZHP when I'm not sure that it's a giving. I bring this up because with the 330i, the rumored Turbo to fill the line, and the future M3, there would be no point in having a "ZHP".

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
i would say it's not likely, unless there is no turbo model.

But the 2nd year should have a sport package aero kit, which is badly needed imo. if I were gonna buy an E90, I'd wait for the 2nd model year.

·
10,856 Posts
BMW has a long history of throwing some extra bling on towards the end of production. The E30 got a completely new body kit, the E36 got M3 kit, and the E46 got the ZHP. I definitely think the ZHP will happen again. In the past, those changes were something BMW paid for. ZHP is pure profit.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
allaboutme said:
If you wait 7 years you can get one for $8000 off msrp :)
Yeah, but by then it'll have picked up a stalling problem.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
BMW has a long history of throwing some extra bling on towards the end of production. The E30 got a completely new body kit, the E36 got M3 kit, and the E46 got the ZHP. I definitely think the ZHP will happen again. In the past, those changes were something BMW paid for. ZHP is pure profit.
Absolutely. I suspect that the whole ZHP thing has shown BMW they can squeeze some more dollars out of the US market.

As Nick says, when the E36 was nearing end of production, BMW tacked on a few gratis M goodies to spice up the last year's coupes and cabrios. For the E46 they did it differently; while they increased the content from the E36 level, they also charged for the upgrade.
I suspect the performance pkg has handily increased profits as a result.

If this is true, I would guess we'll see a "performance package" earlier in the E90 cycle so they can start bringing in those bucks earlier.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
allaboutme said:
Apperances aside, I was really looking for something about performance upgrades....
There are performance upgrades on the ZHP? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Dawg90 said:
There are performance upgrades on the ZHP? :confused:
:rofl:

: popcorn:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I think in approx. 2yrs, likely after the release of the E90 MS, there will be a E90 Perfromance package, akin to the E60 Sport package. In light of minimal engine modifications, there really wouldn't be an issue if there was a turbo E90 in the range. Likely if there is a turbo, the Performance package may evolve into a suspension/appearance package, which would be bank for BMWNA and make alot of people happy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes dawg.. the performance upgrades. Otherwise, why are you choosing an zhp equipped car over any other 3 series?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Don't forget the M sport package for the E39 in it's final model year (2003). Not much performance, but a nice body kit, wheels and steering wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts