BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topped it off with a quart of 5W-30 Mobil 1 this evening.

Will probably get a "peace of mind" change at 7500.

Kind of like taking a bath every Saturday, whether I need it or not. :D

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I plan on changing mine at 7,500 as well. I know that many people here say that every 15K is enough, but I'm used to changing it every 3K and flushing it every 6K - so even this is going to be tough for me.

FWIW I shortened my daily commute from 60 miles/day down to under 4 miles/day, and sometimes I even walk to my new office. In my crazy little mind I feel that by doing this I have made my contribution to the environment and have earned the extra oil change if I want it. :eeps:

--SONET

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Plaz said:

Did you stick to the break in guide lines:dunno: Below 100 mpg, vary rpms, keep em under 4500, etc

If so I'm :confused: 1 qt. seems like a lot for only 4k:(

I changed at 3600 no burn off, at 6k now stll none:D And I can tell you with the 2.5 engine it was tough to keep it under 4.5 rpms:eeps: I now notice that unless in traffic shift at 4 - 5 k almost all the time, it just runs out so quickly:angel:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I followed break-in religiously.

And I burnt through 3 qt in 8k miles. Then it inexplicably stopped. Last 4 thousand miles oil level has stayed rock steady.

But during the first 5k miles I had two fan failures. At this point that's all I can attribute the change to. :dunno:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: FWIW, I burned one quart of oil in 1st 4k miles.

Mystikal said:

It would be kinda hard to munipulate a 330i to go over 100 mpg! :yikes:

Just pissing you off...:thumb:
:lmao:

Lets try 100 MPH:)

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: FWIW, I burned one quart of oil in 1st 4k miles.

PM 325xiT said:

Did you stick to the break in guide lines:dunno: Below 100 mpg, vary rpms, keep em under 4500, etc

If so I'm :confused: 1 qt. seems like a lot for only 4k:(
I absolutely stuck to the break-in regimen.

I have also driven it pretty hard since then, including lots of high speed desert miles in Nevada, and a dozen or more high-rev, rapid altitude and speed changing, extremely twisty drives on the various canyon roads of the Santa Monica mountains.

I'm not worried... seems reasonable. I've heard of more than a few cases where people burned oil for the first 6-8K miles or so, then things settled down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just took my car in to the dealer this past Thursday for it's first oil change at a bit over 5,200 miles. The funny thing is that when I got to the dealer and turned off the engine the yellow oil light came on indicating I needed to top off the oil. Is that timing or what? The tech said I was about 1 quart low. Seemed okay to me since I followed the break-in period to the "T", and have driven fairly hard since. Those back roads aren't there to be left alone, right?

I think 1 quart after 5,000 or more miles on a new engine is within my tolerances. We'll see what happens over the next 5,000 miles. Stay tuned....

Mike

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I stuck to a tighter regimen than recommended. <3500rpm and <70mph. My last car burned oil like mad and I didn't want it to happen again.

That done, it lost 3/4qt or so between 3000 and 6000 or something like that, but not a drop before or since. Odd.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Plaz said:

Bring the oil and filter and I'll do it for ya for free...Well, oil, filter, and some beer.

You live close enough anyway. When you hit the mark drop me an email!

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: FWIW, I burned one quart of oil in 1st 4k miles.

The HACK said:

Bring the oil and filter and I'll do it for ya for free...Well, oil, filter, and some beer.

You live close enough anyway. When you hit the mark drop me an email!
It's a deal! Thanks, Hack!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts