BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Obsessive or Enthusiast?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a business trip here in Bangalore, India for the last 3 weeks and noticed quite a few high end bimmers and mercs around. Didn't think much of it until a business associate pointed out that a brand new 7-series cost around USD $220K, the 6 around $190K, the 5 around $180K, and the 3-series close to $100K. What a rip off!! Yet there are many people driving these cars.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I never understood why a BMW that costs $100K in USD costs 100K pounds in the UK. That's double the price! One would think the pricing would be at least similar worldwide.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Its the duties and customs of other countries. Sort of a luxury tax...I guess if they figure you can afford a luxury car, thr added "taxes" won't mean much.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

·
Obsessive or Enthusiast?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup, just found out they get taxed 100% on new and 200% on used imports. Go figure!

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's definitely the taxes on the price of the car, but there are also variations on taxes depending on engine size (fuel efficiency), I think. That explains the relative popularity of diesel engines and smaller 4-cylinder engines in Europe, for example. Also, I suspect the market for autos in the States is just a lot more competitive - it's a very large market, we do not really protect domestic producers, and there are lots and lots of brands competing for consumers in each market segment so everyone has to be price competitive. Overall, I think we are really a VERY lucky bunch here in the US!

·
Obsessive or Enthusiast?
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts