BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Livin' like Larry!
8,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Duh! :rolleyes: Keyfob detector... :tsk:

Police in Dobbs Ferry, NY, say thieves stole three BMWs worth a total of $220,000 from a single residence in suburban New York, possibly using push-button starters.
Dobbs Ferry police Lt. James Guernieri says each of the had a push-button ignition system. The starter doesn't work unless its accompanying fob is in or near the car.
He says the homeowner had moved all the cars on Saturday to make room for Christmas decorations. He says the man then left a fob in each car.
Police believe the cars were taken at about 8 a.m.
The lieutenant says the thieves may have had a device that detects when an electronic fob is in a car.
He says the BMWs were a 2012, a 2011 335i and a 2007 M5.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/12/12/three-bmws-stolen-from-one-home/?test=latestnews

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
My experience in engineering is that when engineers manage to make something idiot-proof, nature will usually oblige by creating a more inventive idiot.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
OOPS, thought I was still in the F10 forum .....
Hey, what are you doing here? You don't own an E9x anymore! ;)

How's things?

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Can a key fob in the trunk allow access to the trunk from the outside (with CA)? My wife sometimes leaves her purse with her fob in the trunk. I always tell her not to.
If you have CA you should not be able to leave the fob inside the trunk without the trunk opening again. I've tested this and a second or two after you close the trunk, the car will chime at you and the trunk will release. Your wife has a really bad habit and she should stop this immediately!

·
535i M-Sport ED May 2011
969 Posts
Hey, what are you doing here? You don't own an E9x anymore! ;)

How's things?
Got to keep you 3r guys in line!! :rofl:

Things are good...still having fun... Say Hi to your better half.

Oh, and wont the car lock if 2nd CA FOB is close by outside of car?

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Got to keep you 3r guys in line!! :rofl:

Things are good...still having fun... Say Hi to your better half.

Oh, and wont the car lock if 2nd CA FOB is close by outside of car?
Don't know, didn't try that. If Mrs. JL2672a is leaving her purse with her key fob in the trunk, chances are that she's not carrying the other fob!

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
That totally sucks. He probably lives in a good neighborhood and doesn't expect low lives to be preying on his cars.
But the good neighborhoods are where all the good cars are! And just because someone has a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean that they have any common sense.

·
Registered
462 Posts
so all 3 were taken at the same time? Hmmm, this just seems unreal, what are the chances of someone knowing all 3 had the keys in them. and not someone a group of people! and not look suspicious walking around?

key fob detector really ? lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
so all 3 were taken at the same time? Hmmm, this just seems unreal, what are the chances of someone knowing all 3 had the keys in them. and not someone a group of people! and not look suspicious walking around?

key fob detector really ? lol
but anyway cars are new with the exception of the M5, so can BMW locate the cars via the cars gps?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.