BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

FYI - Don't leave your keyfob in your car...

4K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  ProRail 
#1 · (Edited)
See post below...

#2 ·
Duh! :rolleyes: Keyfob detector... :tsk:

Police in Dobbs Ferry, NY, say thieves stole three BMWs worth a total of $220,000 from a single residence in suburban New York, possibly using push-button starters.
Dobbs Ferry police Lt. James Guernieri says each of the had a push-button ignition system. The starter doesn't work unless its accompanying fob is in or near the car.
He says the homeowner had moved all the cars on Saturday to make room for Christmas decorations. He says the man then left a fob in each car.
Police believe the cars were taken at about 8 a.m.
The lieutenant says the thieves may have had a device that detects when an electronic fob is in a car.
He says the BMWs were a 2012, a 2011 335i and a 2007 M5.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/12/12/three-bmws-stolen-from-one-home/?test=latestnews

#5 ·
My experience in engineering is that when engineers manage to make something idiot-proof, nature will usually oblige by creating a more inventive idiot.

#25 ·
No, you most definitely can. I initially thought you couldn't too, but I have had dealer lock my fob inside the car so I could pick the car up after hours. All you do is lock the car, put the fob in the center console, get out, and close the door. You can use the mechanical / valet key to regain entry. It is not like locking the keys in the trunk.

If you have CA you should not be able to leave the fob inside the trunk without the trunk opening again. I've tested this and a second or two after you close the trunk, the car will chime at you and the trunk will release. Your wife has a really bad habit and she should stop this immediately!
In general yep. For those of you with CA, go and try it out. It is fun. You close the trunk, then 2 seconds later, it opens up automatically. However, if you wrap the key in a big heavy bag (or aluminum foil I bet would be very effective) you can still shut it.

It a "detection device" exists, I would assume you would have to bring it within a few feet of the car to determine if the key fob was in place... the signal coming from the fob is only so strong...
The cars then were unlocked, with the fobs inside? That is just incredibly stupid.

#12 ·
If you have CA you should not be able to leave the fob inside the trunk without the trunk opening again. I've tested this and a second or two after you close the trunk, the car will chime at you and the trunk will release. Your wife has a really bad habit and she should stop this immediately!

#11 ·
Hey, what are you doing here? You don't own an E9x anymore! ;)

How's things?

#17 ·
But the good neighborhoods are where all the good cars are! And just because someone has a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean that they have any common sense.

#24 ·
I just read more about this case, and apparently the cars were taken at 8 am but reported at 1:45pm the home owner stated to the police "she heard the engines but thought it was the husband" police are not looking at it as fraud yet since other cars have been taken the same way in this area in the last couple of weeks.

#28 ·
If it has CA, the fob need not have been in the car, just in range.

I don't have CA, but I had this experience, once. I had to rush out of the house, and, by mistake, I left my phone in the upstairs den, charging it. Well, I got into the car, programmed a destination, checked and saw that my bluetooth connected, and drove off. I went to make a call a bit later, and there was no phone connect. I thought maybe the phone got turned off, so I checked my pockets, no phone. I then realized what must have happened was that my phone was in range of the car when it connected, so I thought it was with me.

When I got back home, there my phone was, sitting on my computer desk.

Why wouldn't the same thing happen with CA?

#29 ·
Not really - the CA is pretty sensitive that the key has to be *inside* the car to start it. In fact if it is buried deep in a jacket pocket (or when the batteries get low) it will often "ding" and show the key with the hash mark through it until it gets a "fix" on the key. It won't really work with the key outside of the car at all, even held a few feet outside the door, I've tried it.

OTOH opening the doors has about a 4 foot radius or so that touching the handle will open. It doesn't need to even be the person holding the key.

Once the car is started though, you can take the key out and it would still run. You could leave the keys in your garage if your car was already idling, and drive away. When you tried to restart the car you'd be in trouble. :eek:

#32 ·
How about the guy who got in his car with CA, started it, remembered he left something inside, left the car running and went in to get it. In the process, took off his jacket with the key in the pocket and left it on the bed. Returned to the running car, got in, drove 300 miles before shutting off to refuel. Imagine his surprise when he went to restart! This was not a BMW, but I suppose the same scenario could apply.

#35 ·
Faraday Cage

Put your key fob in a locked metal box to block the radio waves.

Make sure you test from all angles along and sitting inside for non starting ability .

A mentos tin worked for the front doors(CA) but not the trunk for some reason I needed
a thicker better metal container for that.

#39 ·
Put your key fob in a locked metal box to block the radio waves.

Make sure you test from all angles along and sitting inside for non starting ability .

A mentos tin worked for the front doors(CA) but not the trunk for some reason I needed
a thicker better metal container for that.
It worked in the mentos tin, but wouldn't work in my LEFT HAND! Gimme a break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.