Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
I love how Jalopnik acknowledged these are essentially "lease only" cars, that's they're going to be worthless in the used market. :lmao:

People don't seem to like it when I say a modern BMW is a "throwaway car" because, deep down inside, they know I'm right. BMW can say, "We're tired of having the new 3'ers compared to the E46! This will be a great driver's car!" What I don't think they understand is that part of the charm of the E46 is being able to turn a wrench on it and fix stuff for under $300 with ease.

Whatever. I'm just glad the interior won't be as cheap as the F30.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The blind spot indicator symbol in the mirror is still too small, they needed to fix that. Volvo does it right. That symbol is too small to pickup when doing a quick glance in the mirror for a lane change. They also carried over that stupid lower door bottle holder from the G30, the shape intrudes into the footwell so you cannot place your left foot on the dead pedal, without the protruded bottle holder on the door digging into the left side of your lower leg.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
What's interesting to me are the comments by Road and Track:

Indeed it feels like the 3-series is full of compromises caused by trying to be everything to everyone and offensive to no one. Its chassis says "I'm a sport sedan," but that four-cylinder is there for fuel-economy reasons alone. Its interior design says "I'm a luxury car," but then has evidence of cost-cutting so that the 3-series can beat its competitors on price. Its infotainment system says "I'm high tech," but most of it seems more gimmick than help.

Alas it***8217;s not the game-changing return to Ultimate-Driving-Machine form we***8217;ve been dreaming of. But you should have known that as soon as you learned that it doesn***8217;t come with a stick.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,583 Posts
What's interesting to me are the comments by Road and Track:

Indeed it feels like the 3-series is full of compromises caused by trying to be everything to everyone and offensive to no one. Its chassis says "I'm a sport sedan," but that four-cylinder is there for fuel-economy reasons alone. Its interior design says "I'm a luxury car," but then has evidence of cost-cutting so that the 3-series can beat its competitors on price. Its infotainment system says "I'm high tech," but most of it seems more gimmick than help.

Alas it's not the game-changing return to Ultimate-Driving-Machine form we've been dreaming of. But you should have known that as soon as you learned that it doesn't come with a stick.
Not surprised as its the 330 is the bread & butter grocery getter. There is a M340 first drive floating around & C&D said this. 1/4 mile 12.5 seconds

"3 Series back from the brink The new G20-generation 3-series is bigger, more powerful, and once again engaging to drive.

Turn 16, the last, longest, and fastest on the Algarve International Circuit in Portimão, Portugal, is a chassis engineer's nightmare, a driver's test, and an exercise in commitment in the new BMW M340i xDrive, currently the sportiest version of the new seventh generation of BMW's 3-series sedan.

The blind crest early in the long right-hander is useful both for tuning the car and for assessing its composure at the limit. Nail the line, commit to the throttle before the rise, and the all-wheel-drive sedan rotates confidently when it lightens before settling into the compression at corner exit.

Get it perfect, right foot pinned to the floor, and the M340i will carry a neutral attitude all the way onto the front straight. It's a delicate balance executed by a competent chassis and steering feel from this new 3-series that once again inspires confidence at speed.

M340i comes with 13.7-inch front rotors matched to four-piston fixed calipers, a combination that, on the road, proved impervious to fade. Steering feel is back (in Sport mode), strong ride-and-handling balance, class-leading chassis tech."

Think we are dealing with two very different personalities in the 330 & M340.

BTW only the US will get a 4X4 or RWD for the M340, rest of the world is 4X4

·
Registered
531 Posts
Some of those R&T comments are unfair. What car isn't a compromise, that has to sell in this many numbers to a range of buyers looking for alot of different things in a car?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The problem is that BMW has sacrificed much of what made it unique in the car world. There are always compromises, but BMW gave up on the special character that set it apart from the rest.
Some of those R&T comments are unfair. What car isn't a compromise, that has to sell in this many numbers to a range of buyers looking for alot of different things in a car?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There are a couple of issues with the road and track article.
1. It said that 25% of the F30/2 3/440i sold were manual. I just did a search for new 3/440i's in a 75 mile radius from my place in central jersey. This includes dealers in 2 majors metro areas (NYC and Philly). Out of 295 new 3/440i's that are on dealer lots only 8 of them were manual.

2. "four-cylinder is there for fuel-economy reasons alone" Well every car in this class has a four cylinder. The B48 does get good fuel economy. In fact the fuel economy is a lot better than the auto magazines new favorite car in its class the Genesis G70 2.0T.

3. "infotainment system says "I'm high tech," but most of it seems more gimmick than help" The Hey BMW part is a gimmick but idrive is still one of the best infotainment systems in its class.

As for the interior it did past the car wow flick test (it's 13:30 on the attach video) and it mostly past the stick of truth test as well.

The improvement I would like to see with the G20 is the base suspension. On the F30 it was too soft, too much roll on the turns. I highly recommend the adaptive suspension on the F30. While on the E90 it was too rough and had some "bump steer. For example a base E90 with 16in tires rode worse than a B8 S4 with 19in tires.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
5.5 0-60 4 cylinder is for fuel economy alone..... Don***8217;t think so lol.

·
Registered
360 Posts
There are a couple of issues with the road and track article.
1. It said that 25% of the F30/2 3/440i sold were manual.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing this.

·
Super Moderator
8,014 Posts
So they got their historical facts wrong. Doesn't invalidate their review of the car.
Reviews are just opinions. In the case of Road & Track and related magazines they at least come from a enthusiast point of view which is what I personally like. But to complain in 2019 about the character of the 4 cylinder engine is stupid. They already did that 7 years ago. Old news, even Porsche uses turbo 4 cylinder engines.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,631 Posts
The problem is that INCREASING REGULATIONS (FUEL ECONOMY, EMISSIONS, PEDESTRIAN SAFETY, ETC.) AND CHANGING CONSUMER PREFERENCES (INFOTAINMENT, INTERNET CONNECTED-NESS, SEMI-AUTONOMOUS FUNCTIONS) HAVE FORCED MOST MANUFACTURERS, BMW INCLUDED, TO sacrifice much of what made it unique in the car world.
Fixed that for you. You can lament the loss of Blaupunkt radios with terrible reception, DVD-based Nav systems, and displays with burned-out pixels all you want. But they're not coming back. I'm sure there are Amish folks out there lamenting the dearth of good buggy whip manufacturers, too.

If there was a market for the type of old style, retro, low tech vehicles you lust after, I'm sure someone would fill it. But even Mazda has been forced to soften the Miata. I suppose you could search out a Caterham 7 or a Lotus Elise or Exige. Or build a brand new 237 hp Alfa 4C Spider. Here's a tasty configuration for $83 grand (pity it only has a 4 cylinder):https://www.alfaromeousa.com/bmo#/b...EE,RC4,LM2,XTL,LFJ,MWL,ML6,AAM,A71,XX,PRW,22A But if you really want seating for 4, I think you're looking at a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Think we are dealing with two very different personalities in the 330 & M340.
Here is the issue, people are going to dog the 3 series because they can't afford the M340 and lump the 330 into "this car sucks" category

·
Abuser of everything
3,521 Posts
Its chassis says "I'm a sport sedan," but that four-cylinder is there for fuel-economy reasons alone.
Loved that part. Couldn't agree more.

Having said that the early G20 reviews are massively positive.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Loved that part. Couldn't agree more.

Having said that the early G20 reviews are massively positive.
How would you know this, since you never owned a 3 series with a N20/26 or B48 engine!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
We decided to skip the F 3x series when we tested it out a few years ago despite it been a natural addition to our E36 M3(Euro), E46 and E93 garage. It was too soft and had completely changed from the Bmw feel of it's earlier ancestors in the 3 series family.
Now looking ahead to the new G20 as a possible addition to our stable, I'm reading very positive reviews about the driving feel but I'm not expecting old school nirvana where you can still feel the road and talk to it through the steering wheel. Telepathic, connected steering and the total engagement doodha is a thing of the past BUT if it's a massive improvement over the f30 and provides a glimpse throwback to Bmw's glory days, we'll be preparing to make more sheltered space in the yard....(otherwise I'll keep on trying to correct my mistake of selling the E30 many years ago)

·
Abuser of everything
3,521 Posts
How would you know this, since you never owned a 3 series with a N20/26 or B48 engine!
No need to own, just drive extensively ... and I did more than a dozen of times. Can sure do the job, but offer none of the exhilaration I even had in a 184HP I6. Engine sound (and not speed ) is why I stepped up to a 2019 S5 and why I was contemplating the G20 340i. Unfortunately the trims with those engine are now very pricey.

·
2020 Z4 M40i
4,583 Posts
Here is the issue, people are going to dog the 3 series because they can't afford the M340 and lump the 330 into "this car sucks" category
Don't think is a case of this car sucks. As I posted earlier they have two different personalities from what I read & personal experience with my 440MPPSK/THP & various 330 lenders.

Thing is Audi has been eating BMW's lunch & stealing their desert money.:cry:

Believe BMW marketing just wised up. They have built a car with broad appeal to people who know squat about cars, want a good not very expensive DD or commuter car, but a better driver then the current 330.

That said for people who do know about cars the G 330 should be a very good buy that will out perform most if not all cars in its class as a reasonable price point.

Selling a lot of these cars, which are very competent compared to most high volume cars, helps the CAFE numbers & lets them sell a limited number of high performance cars without doing a fleet breakout into the gas guzzler tax.

The new 382BHP M340 is their shot at regaining the industry standard "sports sedan" title. Its pricey but based on the early test drivers wetting their collective pants at various European tracks they may have the winner they have been getting beaten up over not having.

Remember after about 10 years of winning a place on C&D's best cars list the 3 series did not make the cut for the last few. If I was in BMW marketing I would kill to be back on that list & have a good run during Lightning Laps. Believe the M340 will do it where the 330 based on what the magazines look for would not.

Was looking to replace the 440 when it came off lease with a mid engine Corvette. Last word is the car is being delayed for rework of it wiring bus. This got my attention with the G series as I might need a G series M440 to cover the spread till the Vette is good to go with some released to shake out the new model bugs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts