BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BMW g30 5 series technical training docs

If you're wondering how the new 5 Series works and are craving more info then the BMW press release and reviews can offer we've got the ticket for you. These BMW G30 technical training documents are used for dealership technician training, so they go very deep on how the 5 works.

There is a wealth of interesting tidbits about the new 5 in the documents. If you find something that stands out in the docs post it below!

About the all new BMW G30 BMW 5 Series
The all-new BMW 5 Series has been entirely newly developed allowing for a significant weight loss of up to 137 lbs with the use of aluminum, magnesium, and high-strength steel. Thanks to the available state of the art chassis systems including Dynamic Damper Control with Adaptive Mode and Integral Active Steering, now combinable with xDrive, BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system, Driver Assistance Systems and Parking Assistance Systems, the all-new BMW 5 Series once more defines the athletic and executive design of a true sport sedan. Featuring a new user interface (iDrive 6.0) including an 8.8" Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster, available Gesture Control, the latest generation of Head-Up Display, Remote 3D View and an improved Voice Control with natural voice input, the 2017 BMW 5 Series marks a new era of personalized connectivity. The BMW 5 Series is the most innovative BMW 5 Series to date, with BMW's latest Advanced Driver Assistance Systems clearing the way towards semi-automated driving.

The first ever BMW M550i xDrive is also the first M Performance model to be powered by a specifically modified M Performance TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8cylinder engine. This V8 unit is equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers and features a High Precision Injection system, Valvetronic fully variable valve lift and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing control. This technology adds up to an output of 456 hp at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 480 lb-ft from just 1,800 rpm (preliminary power numbers) propelling the BMW M550i xDrive from 0 to 60 mph in under 4.0 seconds and then on to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

Read more about the G30 5 Series

BMW G30 5 Series Technical Training Documents

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks like the us will only get the low end 8.8" instruments cluster, as well as only the low end ac controls. Puzzling decision given that e.g. Audi already offers full digital instruments and touchscreen ac in the a4.

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
Looks like the us will only get the low end 8.8" instruments cluster, as well as only the low end ac controls. Puzzling decision given that e.g. Audi already offers full digital instruments and touchscreen ac in the a4.
I personally prefer physical buttons to the touch in the G12. Also, there is only the rare occasion that I really need 4-zone control in such a confined space.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I personally prefer physical buttons to the touch in the G12. Also, there is only the rare occasion that I really need 4-zone control in such a confined space.
I agree about preferring physical buttons to touch screens. But historically BMWs step-down clusters and controls have felt visibly cheap compared to their higher end counterparts. The big benefit of their 4 zones hvac in hot climates is that the back gets extra outlets and blowers. In my experience that makes a big difference if you have kids in the back regularly.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I agree about preferring physical buttons to touch screens. But historically BMWs step-down clusters and controls have felt visibly cheap compared to their higher end counterparts. The big benefit of their 4 zones hvac in hot climates is that the back gets extra outlets and blowers. In my experience that makes a big difference if you have kids in the back regularly.
Agreed.

The F10 dropped the 4-zone HVAC sometime around the LCI change. It was still offers on the hybrid but only available on the mainline US cars through a special order if you had a dealer willing to play along. I really like having the option in my car.

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
Agreed.

The F10 dropped the 4-zone HVAC sometime around the LCI change. It was still offers on the hybrid but only available on the mainline US cars through a special order if you had a dealer willing to play along. I really like having the option in my car.
I have rear screens and a 30% all around + 70% windshield nano-ceramic tint. That helps with HVAC as well. I do like the ability to change fan speed in the rear, but do not necessarily need four thermostats. The ECE F10's / F11's come with 4NB; not sure why NA market does not. I have the ceramic controls and like them.

I admittedly am very BMW-biased, so do not know much about the competition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, would e-net cable work with G30?
The new version of ISTA is setup with an ENET cable. BMW plans on having Ethernet be the complete backbone of their OBD systems by 2018, among many other manufacturers. They have started phasing out the old CAN buses (finally). So, the answer to your question is, yes.

The automotive industry is moving to an Ethernet based OBD platform. They will still have CAN systems for the basic legislated emissions data (by law), but everything else will be much better. Also, the speed at which the Ethernet bus transfers data is awesome. If anyone is interested in DoIP systems (Diagnostics over IP), the standards most are following are ISO 13400 and for application layer ISO 14229 UDSoIP.

Good Stuff!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Would anyone know if there is an updated technical document for the Driving Assistance Systems?

My spec sheet shows the following included under the 5AT driving Assistance Package:

Evasion Aid
Crossroads Assistant / Warning
Wrong Way Assistant / Warning

But I cant find any documentation whatsoever on this three items?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,263 Posts
Hi, Would anyone know if there is an updated technical document for the Driving Assistance Systems?

My spec sheet shows the following included under the 5AT driving Assistance Package:

Evasion Aid
Crossroads Assistant / Warning
Wrong Way Assistant / Warning

But I cant find any documentation whatsoever on this three items?

Any help would be appreciated.
For what kind of information are you looking? Those are not located in either G30 or G12 docs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BMW g30 5 series technical training docs

If you're wondering how the new 5 Series works and are craving more info then the BMW press release and reviews can offer we've got the ticket for you. These BMW G30 technical training documents are used for dealership technician training, so they go very deep on how the 5 works.

There is a wealth of interesting tidbits about the new 5 in the documents. If you find something that stands out in the docs post it below!

About the all new BMW G30 BMW 5 Series
The all-new BMW 5 Series has been entirely newly developed allowing for a significant weight loss of up to 137 lbs with the use of aluminum, magnesium, and high-strength steel. Thanks to the available state of the art chassis systems including Dynamic Damper Control with Adaptive Mode and Integral Active Steering, now combinable with xDrive, BMW's intelligent all-wheel drive system, Driver Assistance Systems and Parking Assistance Systems, the all-new BMW 5 Series once more defines the athletic and executive design of a true sport sedan. Featuring a new user interface (iDrive 6.0) including an 8.8" Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster, available Gesture Control, the latest generation of Head-Up Display, Remote 3D View and an improved Voice Control with natural voice input, the 2017 BMW 5 Series marks a new era of personalized connectivity. The BMW 5 Series is the most innovative BMW 5 Series to date, with BMW's latest Advanced Driver Assistance Systems clearing the way towards semi-automated driving.

The first ever BMW M550i xDrive is also the first M Performance model to be powered by a specifically modified M Performance TwinPower Turbo 4.4 liter 8cylinder engine. This V8 unit is equipped with two twin-scroll turbochargers and features a High Precision Injection system, Valvetronic fully variable valve lift and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing control. This technology adds up to an output of 456 hp at 5,500 rpm and peak torque of 480 lb-ft from just 1,800 rpm (preliminary power numbers) propelling the BMW M550i xDrive from 0 to 60 mph in under 4.0 seconds and then on to an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph.

Read more about the G30 5 Series

BMW G30 5 Series Technical Training Documents
Any links like this for the F10?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have rear screens and a 30% all around + 70% windshield nano-ceramic tint. That helps with HVAC as well. I do like the ability to change fan speed in the rear, but do not necessarily need four thermostats. The ECE F10's / F11's come with 4NB; not sure why NA market does not. I have the ceramic controls and like them.

I admittedly am very BMW-biased, so do not know much about the competition.
My 530e (arriving around Christmas) has the two cameras in the rear mirror housing and a HUD and I am planning on a nano tint (Suntek CIR). Do you have those features that utilize the front windshield and if so, did the windshield tinting harm their effectiveness?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts