BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, this is not a comparison between the 335 Coupe and the G37.. I have read all 200 of those in every magazine and every website and every BMW and Infiniti forum..
As some of you know might recall, I currently lease an 04 G35 Coupe which I will be replacing with the 335 Sedan next February ED trip planned.

I was just curious to check out the new G37 in person, so I went to take a look while my car was in service.. It looks better than my car, but I was not all that excited.. would not feel that I am driving a different car if I were to get one.. Evolution not revolution for sure...

Back to my point, the feature car in the showroom was a FULLY loaded car with every option.. came to MSRP of 46K (the car included the technology package and 4 wheel steer)
Went to Infiniti.com, priced out a fully loaded 07 G35, checked every box (granted there is no technology package for the 07's) came out to $41,200 ... WOW ... The new car is around 4K more when you subtract the price of the tech package...

Rant over !!
P.S I am more convinced than ever of my decision to get the 335 Sedan ED next Feb :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
No, this is not a comparison between the 335 Coupe and the G37.. I have read all 200 of those in every magazine and every website and every BMW and Infiniti forum..
As some of you know might recall, I currently lease an 04 G35 Coupe which I will be replacing with the 335 Sedan next February ED trip planned.

I was just curious to check out the new G37 in person, so I went to take a look while my car was in service.. It looks better than my car, but I was not all that excited.. would not feel that I am driving a different car if I were to get one.. Evolution not revolution for sure...

Back to my point, the feature car in the showroom was a FULLY loaded car with every option.. came to MSRP of 46K (the car included the technology package and 4 wheel steer)
Went to Infiniti.com, priced out a fully loaded 07 G35, checked every box (granted there is no technology package for the 07's) came out to $41,200 ... WOW ... The new car is around 4K more when you subtract the price of the tech package...

Rant over !!
P.S I am more convinced than ever of my decision to get the 335 Sedan ED next Feb :thumbup::thumbup:
The coupe is overpriced, and doesn't offer better performance than the sedan.

Plus, the 335 is faster.

But to be fair, almost no one pays MSRP.

It is VERY easy to get an Infiniti for a few hundred dollars over invoice, except for the first couple of months after the release of a new model.

Moreover, the employee discount for friends/family is insanely easy to get (some dealers are willing to give it w/out any proof, and you can find the discount numbers on Nissan/Infiniti forums...)

For example, I got a loaded 2007 G35 sedan for $32k out the door. A comparably equipped 335 sedan would have been $15k more!

Now I think the 335 is slightly better than the G35 in just about every respect (except size, the 335 is still classified as a subcompact), but for that much of a price difference, i couldn't justify it. (Still have another BMW though, and always will!)

·
Registered
76 Posts

Plus, the 335 is faster.

It is VERY easy to get an Infiniti for a few hundred dollars over invoice, except for the first couple of months after the release of a new model.

Moreover, the employee discount for friends/family is insanely easy to get (some dealers are willing to give it w/out any proof, and you can find the discount numbers on Nissan/Infiniti forums...)

For example, I got a loaded 2007 G35 sedan for $32k out the door. A comparably equipped 335 sedan would have been $15k more!

Now I think the 335 is slightly better than the G35 in just about every respect (except size, the 335 is still classified as a subcompact), but for that much of a price difference, i couldn't justify it. (Still have another BMW though, and always will!)
The G37 has a 30+ hp advantage over the G35 sedan, it must have some performance advantage, right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
the g37 coupe is an awesome car. I was thinking of waiting till that came out to get it, but in the end, I made the better decision. 335 is better hands down

·
Audi-Bimmer Fan
1,104 Posts
I'm currently waiting on my Sept. build 335i coupe which I got for 3% over invoice. I went to the Infiniti dealership last week and test drove the G37 and it was actually a pretty nice car. I basically told the salesman that I already put my deposit and order of the 335i coupe and asked him how he could compel me to cancel my order. He quoted $46, 225 fully loaded which was slightly above MSRP. The 335i coupe ,at my offer, came out to be around ~49k. 3k difference between the two and both drive similarly. The Infiniti had every option under the sun, but the fact that the salesman quoted me above MSRP I walked away. They keep calling me asking what would it take for me to cancel my order and buy the Infiniti instead. Since the price difference is so small, they haven't been able to convince me.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
But the base prices are similar. Who actually buys a "loaded" car? I can't think of a better to waste money short of taking it out in cash and burning it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Plus, the 335 is faster.

No offense, but I call BS on this !! I am aware of VPP pricing as I was able to get it when I leased my 04 G35 Coupe. Comes out to about $500 over invoice..
Now as far as your car goes, you say it's loaded... An 07 G35 Sedan Journey with just Premium package and Navi only has an MSRP of $37,215 ..That's really not a loaded car..
My friend has a Sport with everything but the Tech package MSRP of $39,500, and he paid $38,500 for it... Your loaded car for $32K means you paid 5000 bucks under MSRP...
Don't buy it, sorry !!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My point with this thread was to say that Infiniti is going upmarket just like BMW did with the E9X ... They are still slightly cheaper when optioned the same... But you can easily get the BMW for less if you forgo the slushbox and go ED... In my case, I am getting two more doors on the BMW and paying less for it than I would pay for the G37 by doing ED

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
No offense, but I call BS on this !! I am aware of VPP pricing as I was able to get it when I leased my 04 G35 Coupe. Comes out to about $500 over invoice..
Now as far as your car goes, you say it's loaded... An 07 G35 Sedan Journey with just Premium package and Navi only has an MSRP of $37,215 ..That's really not a loaded car..
My friend has a Sport with everything but the Tech package MSRP of $39,500, and he paid $38,500 for it... Your loaded car for $32K means you paid 5000 bucks under MSRP...
Don't buy it, sorry !!
Uh, the VPP ranges from 3 to 5% BELOW DEALER INVOICE, so...it winds up being far LESS than the dealer's cost.

And you probably didn't get VPP pricing that I got, because I get the highest and best for nissan employees, since my wife's little brother works for nissan.

But i can easily give you one of the same VPP numbers I have, and most dealers will readily accept them with no hassle.

So please don't accuse me of BS, I'll PM you my sales agreement if you are really interested.

But I'm not here to argue with you, my point is that if you negotiate hard you can purchase most Infiniti models AT or even BELOW dealer invoice, because of their pricing structure (holdbacks, easy employee discounts, etc.)

But I agree with your point that Infiniti is trying to go upmarket, everyone knows there is more profit in upmarket cars than budget cars. I seem to recall that Chrysler's profit on the $13,000 Dodge Neon (back in the day) was razor thin, they often lost money on that model, but made huge profits on big trucks and "luxury" cars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
G37 Coupe Great Car, But NOT For Me

Where do I start?

G37: no rear headroom, undersized trunk, poorer MPG, etc.

It is a beautiful car and for those who don't need any of the above, it will be a great purchase at a really good price and they will have lots of fun with it.

I looked at the articles and the pictures and a year ago it was in the running. Real, real happy however with my recent purchase of a 2008 E92 335xi which not only doesn't have any of the above issues, but as a bonus with have X drive.

To each their own.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Infiniti offers the smart 4WD "ETTS AWD" on the G Sedan and offers the active steering "HICAS" on the G (Sedan or coupe) sports model.

This is exactly the same technology that using in R32, R33 and R34 Skyline GTR in the last 15 years beside the RB26DETT engine. Combine these two technology and a newly developed VQ engine, you got a GTR.

If budget is OK, get a GTR and you will not regret....

·
Registered
339 Posts

Plus, the 335 is faster.

Not really...2 years after the G35 coupe came out, dealers were still marking the car over msrp.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Not really...2 years after the G35 coupe came out, dealers were still marking the car over msrp.
Not sure what market you are in, but around here (SE Michigan) they are pretty easy to come by other than right this instant because they were released last week.

But the difference in performance of 330hp G37 compared to the 335 is very strange, especially since the BMW gives up 30hp...(I think we all know BMW has vastly underrated their HP numbers).

and surprisingly the initial times I've seen for the G37 are nearly identical to the G35, in part because I think the G37 is a heavy car.

The G37 is a nice SUBSTITUTE, but not a REPLACEMENT, for the 335. The only way it makes sense is if you can get one significantly cheaper...(plus, the Infiniti will probably be more reliable, hopefully it shouldn't suffer from catastrophic fuel pump failures, lack of oil coolers, etc.)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Infiniti offers the smart 4WD "ETTS AWD" on the G Sedan and offers the active steering "HICAS" on the G (Sedan or coupe) sports model.

This is exactly the same technology that using in R32, R33 and R34 Skyline GTR in the last 15 years beside the RB26DETT engine. Combine these two technology and a newly developed VQ engine, you got a GTR.

whats GTR?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not sure what market you are in, but around here (SE Michigan) they are pretty easy to come by other than right this instant because they were released last week.

But the difference in performance of 330hp G37 compared to the 335 is very strange, especially since the BMW gives up 30hp...(I think we all know BMW has vastly underrated their HP numbers).

and surprisingly the initial times I've seen for the G37 are nearly identical to the G35, in part because I think the G37 is a heavy car.

The G37 is a nice SUBSTITUTE, but not a REPLACEMENT, for the 335. The only way it makes sense is if you can get one significantly cheaper...(plus, the Infiniti will probably be more reliable, hopefully it shouldn't suffer from catastrophic fuel pump failures, lack of oil coolers, etc.)
its not strange at all. G37 has a claimed higher HP but higher weight. Ultimately though, the area under the HP curve is what dictates performance. For the 335, its max torque is available at 1700rpm, and since hp is a function of tq (and rpm) this means there is more area under the graph. And this basically means the 3 is pulling harder from the start.

·
Registered
339 Posts

the GTR does not have VQ but a VR engine.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh, the VPP ranges from 3 to 5% BELOW DEALER INVOICE, so...it winds up being far LESS than the dealer's cost.

And you probably didn't get VPP pricing that I got, because I get the highest and best for nissan employees, since my wife's little brother works for nissan.

But i can easily give you one of the same VPP numbers I have, and most dealers will readily accept them with no hassle.

So please don't accuse me of BS, I'll PM you my sales agreement if you are really interested.

But I'm not here to argue with you, my point is that if you negotiate hard you can purchase most Infiniti models AT or even BELOW dealer invoice, because of their pricing structure (holdbacks, easy employee discounts, etc.)

But I agree with your point that Infiniti is trying to go upmarket, everyone knows there is more profit in upmarket cars than budget cars. I seem to recall that Chrysler's profit on the $13,000 Dodge Neon (back in the day) was razor thin, they often lost money on that model, but made huge profits on big trucks and "luxury" cars.
I didn't get the VPP for Nissan employees, I got VPP for Nissan Partners which is less discount.. so your price now sounds more reasonable..

Discounts for the Coupes G35 or the new G37 won't be as much as what they offer on the G35 Sedan, so the price difference between 335 coupe and G37 will be much less than the price difference between 335 Sedan and G35..

In my case, I can get the 335 Sedan which I like better than the Coupe (no flames please) through ED for less than a comparably equipped G37 which I like better than the G35...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts