Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, programmed the car to open the garage door. But the car opener doesn't seem to work unless the car is on...REALLY? None of our other cars need the ignition on to open the garage door... I can't be the only one who wants to open the garage door BEFORE I start the engine, or am I missing something???

·
Registered
536 Posts
That sounds crazy. Starting the car with the door closed could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. You start the car, your phone rings, you forget about the door and nighty night.:bawling:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, programmed the car to open the garage door. But the car opener doesn't seem to work unless the car is on...REALLY? None of our other cars need the ignition on to open the garage door... I can't be the only one who wants to open the garage door BEFORE I start the engine, or am I missing something???
Don't you have a switch on the wall. Every place I've lived had a door opener by the entry door. BTW, I could never get mine to work so I don't know if this is really how the switch works. Does it work if you power up the car w/o turning it on?

BB

·
Registered
1,272 Posts

When you say 'on' do you mean 'engine running'? If so, should it not work with the Stop/Start button pushed once without your foot on the brake?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can turn the car systems on without starting the engine...but WHY do i have to do that to open the garage door....stupid. i can see someone starting the engine first before the door is opened

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
you can turn the car systems on without starting the engine...but WHY do i have to do that to open the garage door....stupid. i can see someone starting the engine first before the door is opened
OK we are on the same page. If I were designing it, I would have had the door opener operable just by pushing the button regardless of the state if the vehicle's electrical state (like the sound system). That said, the current design is not all aggravating to me.

·
Retired Fed
694 Posts
Unfortunately that is how it works, I'm guessing BMW took an extra precaution I that if you were parked in your driveway or street, someone can't just break in and hit the button and open your garage. My wife actually likes this feature, I'm not so much. On my Acura, button works without having keys in on position, but life goes on!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Unfortunately that is how it works, I'm guessing BMW took an extra precaution I that if you were parked in your driveway or street, someone can't just break in and hit the button and open your garage. My wife actually likes this feature, I'm not so much. On my Acura, button works without having keys in on position, but life goes on!
Never thought if that safety-related design intent but it sure makes sense.
I wonder if BMW lawyers were behind the decision. ***128515;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts