BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to think that the GDO remote module in my 650 is broke. I have been able to program a few other cars to work with my GDO including my girlfriend's '11 X5. No matter what I do, I cannot get the 650's GDO to accept the codes from my remote. I have cleared out previous codes and tried ten different times to get the 650 to pair with the remote.

Is there anything else I should try or check? I'm really tired of having to use the remote that came with the GDO (not to mention potential security issues).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Try it a few more times
Is this for a garage door? Like your personal garage door? Or is it for a gate or something public or like an apartment garage?
Also is it the factory remote your using for the garage or is it one that you programmed to the garage later?

·
Registered
154 Posts
What is the name brand of your garage door opener? If it's a Genie I can almost guarantee it's the remote that's the problem. I had the same problem where my E46 and my E64 would not program with the Genie remote. Something to with the frequency. I purchased a replacement at my local Lowes and it instantly programmed. Look on the back of the remote and search the part number.
Genie remote

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone. I hqve tried a dozen times or so.

HerbP, i have tried it as various distances ranging from 2" ro 12".

Ethan, it is for a garage door. I have the factory remote.

mcdave, it is a Chamberlin. Getting another remote certainly isn't a bad idea and worth a shot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What is the name brand of your garage door opener? If it's a Genie I can almost guarantee it's the remote that's the problem. I had the same problem where my E46 and my E64 would not program with the Genie remote. Something to with the frequency. I purchased a replacement at my local Lowes and it instantly programmed. Look on the back of the remote and search the part number.
Genie remote
I had this same problem and Genie sent me a free remote with the frequency that would work..
STILL required many attempts for my car to accept it.. Keep at it..

·
A BMW *****
290 Posts
Here's what I found on mine: You must program BOTH the remote and then the GDO itself. It's an individual two step process.

IOW, once you get the remote done (6", yada, yada), Hit the learning button/mode on the garage door opener itself and marry it up. Should work at that point.

GL

Attachments

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
K
I am beginning to think that the GDO remote module in my 650 is broke. I have been able to program a few other cars to work with my GDO including my girlfriend's '11 X5. No matter what I do, I cannot get the 650's GDO to accept the codes from my remote. I have cleared out previous codes and tried ten different times to get the 650 to pair with the remote.

Is there anything else I should try or check? I'm really tired of having to use the remote that came with the GDO (not to mention potential security issues).
If all else fails I have one item to consider, but only if you have a new Chamberlain GDO with the upgraded MyQ system. If this is the case and you have the newer unit you may require a Homelink Compatibility Bridge. I guy on the E60 forum stated that this was the solution given to him by Chamberlain.

I had to use this bridge with my jaguar after getting new opener.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all!!!
If I buy from eBay an OEM rear view mirror with three buttons garage opener and change my standard rear view it will work or it needs coding?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The garage door opening part is stand alone so no programming is needed. I'm not 100% sure on the wiring to power the remote though..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just did this on my 650 to a Chamberlain and figured out I needed to put key in, hit start without putting foot on brake.
1. hold original remote to mirror , push both buttons (one on mirror you want to program in this case first one) simultaneously until mirror led blinks
2. go in garage and press learn button and then press the button on mirror you used 3 times
Presto Messed with this for a while almost gave up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts