BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to program the uiversal transmitter (built in garage door opener) in my 1997 528 and I cannot get it working.

I cannot find the instruction in my owners manual, so I followed the instructions in the 2000 model year maual that I found a link to on this site.

2000 528 manual states (I have para-phrased)

1- ignition to position 2
2 - press and hold outer keys (keys 1 and 3 I assume) uiversal transmitter flashes
3 - Hold transmitter near receiver
4 - Press transmitter key and key on the uiversal transmitter at the same time, release when the uiversal transmitter flashes

I tried this several time and it does not work.

Does anyone know if this is the correct sequence for a 1997 528?

Any idea why my manul has no reference to this feature?

·
Bo's ready for the Big 10
27,337 Posts
If you have a garage door opener that does the rolling codes what you are doing won't work. The good news is its even easier. Have the key turned into the correct position, push the learn button on the back of your actual garage door opener, push and hold the button in your car. Once you push the learn button you have about 20 seconds to get in your car and hold the button. Or use 2 people but thats too easy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Robsa said:
If you have a garage door opener that does the rolling codes what you are doing won't work. The good news is its even easier. Have the key turned into the correct position, push the learn button on the back of your actual garage door opener, push and hold the button in your car. Once you push the learn button you have about 20 seconds to get in your car and hold the button. Or use 2 people but thats too easy.
I had fun with this when I programmed our cars. Jumping off the ladder and running out to the car in the driveway in under 20 secs, good times! Especially in 104 degree weather!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an old non rolling code garage door opener. The garage opener cannot learn a code, I thought the car can learn the garage door opener code?

·
Bo's ready for the Big 10
27,337 Posts
kmm0000 said:
I have an old non rolling code garage door opener. The garage opener cannot learn a code, I thought the car can learn the garage door opener code?
A few years ago I had a garage door opener that wouldn't work with Homelink. They plugged in this little box and hooked a wire to my garage door opener. The guy used this little hand held thing to get my homelink to learn. If I lost the link I would need to get the little hand held device which was about $40. The cost of that was about half what it would have cost to buy a whole new garage door opener. I was able to use the Homelink but I wish I would have just bought another opener instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it to work. I used the original garage door remote (I was using a Sky Link key-fob remote).

The 2000 manual directions work, but you have to wait quite a long time for feedback from the system, at least 90 seconds to clear and 90 seconds to program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts