BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a secret to programming my garage opener to the buttons on the mirror? I have tried the directions to no avail. I check the manual on my opener and it is Homelink compatible. Any tricks that I haven't found?

2016 428I Convertible

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,075 Posts
I had this problem on my first car that had Homelink. If you haven't already, try putting fresh batteries in the garage door remote, then all the Homelink steps again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't forget that if your garage door opener has a "sync" button, to use it after the initial programming. Follow the steps to program the mirror with the remote, then get out, press the button on the main opener unit, and then hit the button you programmed on the mirror.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also my sales person had warned me when I bought the car that the owner's manual page for the Homelink was incorrect - I did not check what was wrong. But - the little movie in the BMW Genius app is correct and will walk you through the set up. I had no problems syncing our garage door opener and it is at least ten years old.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try YouTube

I was able to find an easy to follow video on You Tube for my exact garage door opener model. You might try that route.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bingo!!! Found better instructions online for Homelink...Thanks for the ideas and suggestions that pointed me in the right direction.

·
Derek
16 Posts
I am reading the replies here...can anyone that has solved the problem post the actual links or list the steps they took to solve it? Thanks
I decided to give it one more shot...Genie garage door opener (2005 ) and 2017 BMW 440i...
Followed the steps per the manual as far as resetting mirror...held the remote no more than 1-2" from mirror..when it flashed per instructions I went to the learn button on Genie opener but the change when I went back to mirror I held the button continuously...took maybe 20 seconds and doors worked...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am reading the replies here...can anyone that has solved the problem post the actual links or list the steps they took to solve it? Thanks
I decided to give it one more shot...Genie garage door opener (2005 ) and 2017 BMW 440i...
Followed the steps per the manual as far as resetting mirror...held the remote no more than 1-2" from mirror..when it flashed per instructions I went to the learn button on Genie opener but the change when I went back to mirror I held the button continuously...took maybe 20 seconds and doors worked...
Glad that it worked for you. As I noted in my post, I did not look for written instructions, I used the BMW Genius iPhone app and watched the short video. We also have Genie garage door openers that are at least as old as yours, maybe older. So far so good six months later - working fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts