BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary,

I have an '07 335i vert w/sport pkg so running on 18" wheels now. Looking at winter wheel/tire pkg. Have read your winter tire sticky and been to the tirerack.com site to check out options.

I've decided on 17x8 Rial Salerno wheels but am stuck between Blizzak WS60 and LM60 for tires. 225/45-17 is recommended by tirerack. I don't plan on getting RFT's either way.

I'm a bit gun-shy about performance snows. We tend to get more ice than snow in St. Louis. I previously owned a '99 528 w/sport pkg and it was brutal in even light snow/ice with summer tires. Granted, those tires were not made for those conditions but I just don't want to end up in that boat again - ended up buying a beater to get through the winter.

Your advice on tire choice?

Thanks in advance.

·
NHTSA Nazi
351 Posts
Gary,

I have an '07 335i vert w/sport pkg so running on 18" wheels now. Looking at winter wheel/tire pkg. Have read your winter tire sticky and been to the tirerack.com site to check out options.

I've decided on 17x8 Rial Salerno wheels but am stuck between Blizzak WS60 and LM60 for tires. 225/45-17 is recommended by tirerack. I don't plan on getting RFT's either way.

I'm a bit gun-shy about performance snows. We tend to get more ice than snow in St. Louis. I previously owned a '99 528 w/sport pkg and it was brutal in even light snow/ice with summer tires. Granted, those tires were not made for those conditions but I just don't want to end up in that boat again - ended up buying a beater to get through the winter.

Your advice on tire choice?

Thanks in advance.
You can't equate your experience driving on summer tires with any type of winter tire.

Quite simply, you were trying to walk on ice with leather soled shoes when walking or running shoes with rubber soles would have been better.

My job requires 24/7 mobility so I opted for traditional "snow" tires (and an xi) but most folks are perfectly happy with performance winter tires as they work better for dry or wet conditions that we encounter most of the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can't equate your experience driving on summer tires with any type of winter tire.

Quite simply, you were trying to walk on ice with leather soled shoes when walking or running shoes with rubber soles would have been better.

My job requires 24/7 mobility so I opted for traditional "snow" tires (and an xi) but most folks are perfectly happy with performance winter tires as they work better for dry or wet conditions that we encounter most of the time.
Well stated.

sprngz, This is mostly a matter of personal preference between dry grip/steering response compared to better ice and snow traction. If you have never used winter tires before, you will likely be impressed enough with the LM60 in snow and ice without having to give up a great deal of dry grip and steering response.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&url=/winter/index.jsp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts