BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this issue 5 times! i have only been driving it for a year.. Anybody got any clues the efing dealerships dont shiznit!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get the dealer to replace it under warranty. Had this problem before with a previous BMW and the dealer replaced it without issue. If your SA won't do it, it might be time to find a new SA/Dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was hoping that was the case, everytime i take it back they just reset the sensor or they replace the cap. Lemon Law is the same problem 4 times this is my 5th, so i took the litigous route, i might as well get some money for my pain. :mad:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It's probably a O2 sensor and not the gas cap. They're not finding the correct error code.

·
Enjoying Your Money
572 Posts
i was hoping that was the case, everytime i take it back they just reset the sensor or they replace the cap. Lemon Law is the same problem 4 times this is my 5th, so i took the litigous route, i might as well get some money for my pain. :mad:
I have the same problem with my X3. I took it to the dealer twice and it is still coming back, usually right after the fill up then stays for a day or two then goes away. How is your lemon process is going? Any luck yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im still waiting on the lawyer to get back to me.. But based on what he is saying, this is a normal occurance in BMW's. Im looking at $500-$1500 per visit -10% lawyer fees. So anywhere in between $2500-$7500, based on what the lawyer is saying BMW is very generous in situations like this and they settle within 45days.. So we shall see in about a month if my $7K richer.. But either way, they have Changed the cap, they have reinstalled the O/S, they reset the sensor, they suppressed the sensor, they tried everything and it still came back.. I love my ride, dont get me wrong, i just hate the service departments, they think that all BMW owners are well to do jagoffs or something.. But this is the 5th time i have taken it it and they have "fixed it", my issues started at about 20K miles, if that helps.. It happens after i start my car in the morning, ususally.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts
I think you misunderstand what the Lemon Law is (unless it's just really different in Cali).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lemon Law Rules in California- FYI
(1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or

(2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or

(3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,997 Posts
Lemon Law Rules in California- FYI
(1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or

(2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or

(3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.
Yes, but the Lemon Law is to replace the car, not get some certain amount of compensation. There is virtually no way BMW is going to let a car with a gas cap issue ever get to Lemon status.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
welcome to california...
Lemon Law FAQ's

I want to keep my vehicle, but I also want to be compensated for all the problems***8221; What is ***8220;Cash-and-Keep***8221; as it applies to California lemon law cases? Our California Lemon law statute affords a vehicle repurchase, or a new replacement vehicle for the offending ***8220;lemon***8221; vehicle. This being said, we have clients that will desire alternative settlements to a California lemon law statute repurchase or replacement. This can include ***8220;cash-and-keep***8221;, wherein the manufacturer agrees to pay an amount to our client that is negotiated by the attorney that allows the client to retain their vehicle and put substantial ***8220;cash in their pocket***8221;. Our law firms experience allows us to often present multiple options to settlement for our clients to choose from, thus affording the greatest range of settlement options in their California Lemon Law case.

http://www.californialemonlawattorneys.com/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they have to make sure that they can reasonably fix it. dont let them tell you otherwise.. if need be call BMWNA and have them call the delearship where you purchased and they will definetly get the ball rolling.:thumbup:

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
454 Posts
I have had this issue 5 times! i have only been driving it for a year.. Anybody got any clues the efing dealerships dont shiznit!
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it is so annoying why would you want to keep the car which they can't seem to fix and just get a little bit of cash?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i was able to get a offer from BMWNA, they offered $7500. $2500 was attorny fees, and 10% settlement fee, so i get a $4500 check from BMW, and i get to keep my car. A little bit of cash is what they were offering. I will post the official fax sent from the law office stating how much i was awarded and the terms and conditions. I was basically compensated $1500 per visit, and recieved about $1000 per visit after fees. So moral of the story. Next time you get a car, anycar.. make sure you get it in a state with credible lemon laws! thanks god for california and the govenator! ill be back!

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
The cars computer is condition based, drive it in the heat a lot, and it'll require oil changes sooner. Drive more, and it'll require oil changes sooner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BMWNA Award Fax

This is the fax that came through telling me what the deal is.. Im hoping that your lemon laws, in your state or as clear cut as california's. I love this state.. Even tho we are in a $40 Billion Dollar hole, at least they take time to look out for the little guy, and to make sure the consumer is protected first.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Seems to me like it is a law that is ripe for ripping off large corporations. If you have to keep taking the car in, why would you want to keep it? Why would they pay you per visit and then let you keep bringing it in so they have to pay you more later on. Seems kind of stupid to me but maybe I am missing something. I guess it depends on your POV...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts