BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I've got another problem cropping up on my 330Ci...

When I first start up the car, the gas gauge swings back and forth unpredictably (the swing is about 1/4 tank). Seems like for the first 5 minutes while the car is cold, the gas gauge is very active, which also plays with the range figure.

After the car has been driven for a bit, the gas gauge seems to be relatively accurate, although sometimes it varies 1/8 to 1/16 of a tank.

Any ideas?

I'll probably hold out on taking it to the dealer until next month when I have my state inspection/emissions check, and my Oil Service I.

·
5,820 Posts
Unless you're timing your tank fills to the first 5 min. of driving, I'd give it time to correct itself. Minor problems sometimes turn into major annoyances once the service department gets their mitts on it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Alee, that's a common problem. Many of us had similar experience and had the service department replaced the faulty fuel level sensors. I would not overlook this issue as the fuel gauge could indicate a higher level of fuel than you actually have. I almost drove to an empty tank without knowing!

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jspeed said:
Alee, that's a common problem. Many of us had similar experience and had the service department replaced the faulty fuel level sensors. I would not overlook this issue as the fuel gauge could indicate a higher level of fuel than you actually have. I almost drove to an empty tank without knowing!
Thanks Jspeed... I will have my dealer check that out. I've been filling up at 275-300 miles, so running out of gas is not really that likely, but I will plan on going sooner than later on this.

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
alee said:
Looks like I've got another problem cropping up on my 330Ci...

When I first start up the car, the gas gauge swings back and forth unpredictably (the swing is about 1/4 tank). Seems like for the first 5 minutes while the car is cold, the gas gauge is very active, which also plays with the range figure.

After the car has been driven for a bit, the gas gauge seems to be relatively accurate, although sometimes it varies 1/8 to 1/16 of a tank.

Any ideas?

I'll probably hold out on taking it to the dealer until next month when I have my state inspection/emissions check, and my Oil Service I.
That's funny because earlier this week mine seemed to be stuck on full for about 10 minutes when I knew there was less than 3/4 of a tank in there. I stopped and went in a store and when I came out and re-started the car it seemed to correct itself?

I thought maybe I had imagined it! But I planned on having it checked next time I had it in for service.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Re: Gas gauge drift

Mike 325xi said:

That's funny because earlier this week mine seemed to be stuck on full for about 10 minutes when I knew there was less than 3/4 of a tank in there. I stopped and went in a store and when I came out and re-started the car it seemed to correct itself?

I thought maybe I had imagined it! But I planned on having it checked next time I had it in for service.
That's exactly wht happened to me. Has happened for the last 3 tanks now. Must have something to do with the M68s Mike. :D

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Gas gauge drift

alee said:

That's exactly wht happened to me. Has happened for the last 3 tanks now. Must have something to do with the M68s Mike. :D
That must be it...why didn't you warn me?? :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.