BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a problem with their gas pedal making a clicking/clacking sound whenever it is pressed or depressed? Just wondering if there's a simple fix other than having the dealer swap it out. Thanks.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
I have an E46, but mine clicks when I blip the throttle (rev-matching). It happens on the up-swing and it's really annoying. They replaced the whole throttle module a year or two ago due to a 'sticky pedal', and it didn't solve the problem. Other E46s that I have driven exhibit the same behavior. I haven't experienced the clicking in the opposite direction though. :dunno:

--SONET

·
Registered
136 Posts
dkl said:
Does anyone have a problem with their gas pedal making a clicking/clacking sound whenever it is pressed or depressed? Just wondering if there's a simple fix other than having the dealer swap it out. Thanks.
are you talking about a click all the way at the bottom of the pedal travel? if so, that is normal.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vinu_neuro said:
are you talking about a click all the way at the bottom of the pedal travel? if so, that is normal.
No...it's just at tip-in, on both directions. I know about the "kickdown" click all the way at the bottom, but that isn't it. Mine is happening at light throttle, just as what Sonet is describing. From Sonet's post, it sounds like a common problem on the E46, so I'm wodering if anyone else have noticed it on the E53 as well. So far, it doesn't sound like replacing the pedal will help, so I'm looking for an "innovative" fix.

Thank you all for your inputs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vinu_neuro said:
what actually the purpose of the click all the way at the bottom?
The purpose of the click all the way down at the bottom of the throttle is due to the "kickdown" function, which tells the auto tranny that you want to downshift NOW when in full auto mode (D).

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
dkl said:
The purpose of the click all the way down at the bottom of the throttle is due to the "kickdown" function, which tells the auto tranny that you want to downshift NOW when in full auto mode (D).
I don't think we're talking about that, it's a click that would occur just when the pedal is first pressed, plus my car is an MT anyway. I think since my car was new something was sticking and after a few months it just went away. :dunno:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moderato said:
I don't think we're talking about that, it's a click that would occur just when the pedal is first pressed, plus my car is an MT anyway. I think since my car was new something was sticking and after a few months it just went away. :dunno:
Moderato, I think you've misunderstood my previous post to vinu_neuro. You and I are talking about the same click that happens at the begining of throttle tip-in, which I still have and would like to find a solution. Vinu_neuro was asking for an explaination of the click at the bottom of the gas pedal, and I provided one for him.

Unfortunately for me, the click that would occur just when the pedal is first pressed and depressed had not disappeared and seems to get worst over time :(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moderato said:
Anyway, i was having a similar sticking/squeeking problem. they ended replacing the whole gas peddle assembly. i think it was a service bulletin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have this problem too. It happens when you first press on the gas pedal and then again when you lift off. The gas pedal itself seems to consist of 2 parts which are no longer bonded to each other? With the car off I can can press the pedal so slightly with my hand and duplicate the sound. I will have the dealer check it out soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts