BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
aka Turd Ferguson
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought as I was driving into work this morning listening to NPR. They reported that gas in Los Angeles is now at $2.54 per self serve REGULAR. They stated that the bay area and SANTA BARBARA has the highest gas prices on average.

Do you think this will have a negative effect on our upcoming event?

Personally, I am lucky as I live fairly close to my work and I usually try to hang around town during the weekends I dont have to feel too much of the brunt of these crazy prices.

They are reporting this price will NOT go down all summer. Should stay this high until September.

How are others in other parts of the country dealing with the gas prices?

·
www.my330i.com
260 Posts
Prices go up, we pay it...

Sad part is, if they even cut the US federal gasoline tax in half... we'd be paying like 1.65 for premuim...

·
3,365 Posts
atyclb said:
people who drive BMW's probably don't care too much about spending an extra $8 a week or so on gas
:thumbup:

In the PNW right now, gas prices are at about $2.59 for 92. On my assignment here, I am using less gas than in So.Cal., so I am not feeling the increase at all. Word has it that 92 should be around $3/gal. by the time all of the increases have occurred this summer. Don't know if we will see that outside of SF, but who knows? :dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know why anyone who drives a BMW should care. It's such a small part of automobile ownership. If one can't afford gas, one's finances must be so weak that one has no business driving a BMW. People should start being responsible with their money by controlling their ego, they should buy a Honda or a Toyota & sell the Bimmer if they can't afford gas for it.

I would like to see prices go MUCH higher. :D It would clear the road of those !*%?$ SUVs that are spoiling the pleasure of driving for those of us that actually like to drive. :thumbup: You know what you can do with your Suburban? Melt it down & make two or three nice Rice Rockets for those that can't afford gas!

I expect to be one of the biggest spenders on gasoline for Bimmerfest. I'm driving a 4200 pound 7 Series from Seattle & back. Last year I put a full tank of gas in the car in Santa Barbara for $50. I hope its at least $60 or $70 this year.

High gasoline prices are the friend of the BMW driver. Unfortunantly, prices don't go up forever. Like any commodity, the price is a function of supply & demand. The higher price will eventually bring both too much supply & less demand. Enjoy the good times while they last. :)Enjoy Bimmerfest! :D

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate here...

I constantly see messages to the fact that anyone that drives a BMW can afford other stuff that non-BMW drivers can not. Horse puckey! A lot of folks scrimp and save for a long time to get a bimmer, but that is no different than others that have to scrimp and save to get any other car, even an econobox. Everyone get's hit by high gas prices! And what about the guy who picks up an older used bimmer at a great price. He could afford it just as much as any other car. Doesn't mean that he is living large. Too many people are stereotyping the BMW owner as wealthy and able to afford anything, no matter how outrageously priced it is. Pahleaze!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
operknockity said:
Just to play devil's advocate here...

I constantly see messages to the fact that anyone that drives a BMW can afford other stuff that non-BMW drivers can not. Horse puckey! A lot of folks scrimp and save for a long time to get a bimmer, but that is no different than others that have to scrimp and save to get any other car, even an econobox. Everyone get's hit by high gas prices! And what about the guy who picks up an older used bimmer at a great price. He could afford it just as much as any other car. Doesn't mean that he is living large. Too many people are stereotyping the BMW owner as wealthy and able to afford anything, no matter how outrageously priced it is. Pahleaze!
What this "gas price hike" has an effect on, is my daily train/rail ride to work. It used to be, about 2-3 months ago, the rails are practically EMPTY when I ride during rush hour. Now it's packed to standing room only and at times I've had to wait for the next rail service. I've taken to driving to work again to avoid the "rush" 2-3 times a week instead of riding the rail all week.

·
Nerd
1,432 Posts
It's not just a couple extra bucks per week for gas. The cost of *everything* is going up because it's costing more to deliver. I had a house built last year and the builder was ticked because he budgeted for things before the gas surge. Not really my problem, but he was rather grumbly.

It's a drag on the economy, plain and simple. It's time for some new nuclear reactors and some energy independence. But now this post is getting close to belonging in the Off-topic forum... :eek:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
7upNorth said:
I don't know why anyone who drives a BMW should care. It's such a small part of automobile ownership. If one can't afford gas, one's finances must be so weak that one has no business driving a BMW. People should start being responsible with their money by controlling their ego, they should buy a Honda or a Toyota & sell the Bimmer if they can't afford gas for it.

I would like to see prices go MUCH higher. :D It would clear the road of those !*%?$ SUVs that are spoiling the pleasure of driving for those of us that actually like to drive. :thumbup: You know what you can do with your Suburban? Melt it down & make two or three nice Rice Rockets for those that can't afford gas!

I expect to be one of the biggest spenders on gasoline for Bimmerfest. I'm driving a 4200 pound 7 Series from Seattle & back. Last year I put a full tank of gas in the car in Santa Barbara for $50. I hope its at least $60 or $70 this year.

High gasoline prices are the friend of the BMW driver. Unfortunantly, prices don't go up forever. Like any commodity, the price is a function of supply & demand. The higher price will eventually bring both too much supply & less demand. Enjoy the good times while they last. :)Enjoy Bimmerfest! :D
WOW!

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
The price of 98E has shot up here in the last week. I just paid $6.53 a gallon today.

Shocking.

But I don't really care ... I would still LOVE to come to Bimmerfest!

·
3,365 Posts
7upNorth said:

I have an SUV in addition to my 3er. I don't block the road for anyone. Maybe I am just a courteous SOB. :p But if I were driving and new you were behind me and had a problem with my car, I'd go out of my way to make your life a living ****ing hell! ;) :angel:

·
Tamer of the Mighty V8
1,321 Posts
Patrick said:
But I don't really care ... I would still LOVE to come to Bimmerfest!

Hey Patrick, c'mon down, but I think it would be cheaper for you to fly than to drive to Bimmerfest! :rofl: :D

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
atyclb said:
people who drive BMW's probably don't care too much about spending an extra $8 a week or so on gas
That's a very poor generalization.

Just because I choose to drive a BMW doesn't mean I don't mind high gas prices.

I'd rather not pi$$ my money away on gas.

There's plenty other better things to waste money on.

20,210 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:

I'd rather not pi$$ my money away on gas.

There's plenty other better things to waste money on.
so you wouldn't come to Bimmerfest if it would cost you $5 more in gas than it would have 2 or 3 years ago?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Geez....

(a) A Honda Accord will give you worse gas mileage than a BMW when driven fairly similarly (as mine does) so I think the "poor" Accord driver gets hit harder

(b) What's up with this "if you drive a BMW you must be filthy rich" attitutude? I can't understand it.

If I drove a Ferrari and complained about a few cents at the pump then maybe, but a BMW? Come on guys, look at the price differential... Honda Accord 24000, BMW 3 series 35000 so why does that make a BMW driver "rich" :dunno:

what a crappy stereo type :thumbdwn:

·
3,365 Posts
atyclb said:
so you wouldn't come to Bimmerfest if it would cost you $5 more in gas than it would have 2 or 3 years ago?
Well, the dude lives in Pittsburgh, which I assume to be PA, so I am not sure the extra $5 is going to cover it. :eeps:

:rofl:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:

I totally agree! My gas bills have gone up more than $5 or $8 a week also. I live in the bay area and prices have probably gone up .50 in the past few months. Between my fiance and myself, we are paying over $100 a month more for gas than we did at the beginning of the year. I am greatful that I am able to afford it but that doesn't mean I am happy about it. There are also a lot of people on fixed incomes that the gas prices are pushing beyond their means. Like someone else mentioned, it's not just paying a little more at the pump, it's grocery prices, airfare, etc.

But, I guess I shouldn't complain. I drive a BMW...

·
2,151 Posts
atyclb said:
That's not my point.

My point is just because someone buys a premium auto doesn't mean they aren't frugal.

FWIW...If I didn't have kids...I'd pull a Terry Kennedy and drive across the country to attend Bimmerfest.

Regardless of gas prices!!

·
2,151 Posts
Patrick330i said:
Well, the dude lives in Pittsburgh, which I assume to be PA, so I am not sure the extra $5 is going to cover it. :eeps:

:rofl:
You are correct....the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

(not Pitsburgh Kansas)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts