BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my valve covers in for powdercoating and replacing the upper timing chain cover gaskets as all were leaking. No plastic in the oil pan when I changed it. Guides look good at 103,000. Small wear groves in them, guesstamate about .012". Not going to mess with them.

My question is for those who have replaced these gaskets: did you use silicone sealant over the total gasket surface or just the small areas speced in the TIS. Also what type of silicone did you use?

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
Permatex Gray, just where specified. Make sure the case covers are flush with the head surface before tightening the bolts.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Permatex Gray, just where specified. Make sure the case covers are flush with the head surface before tightening the bolts.
BMW lists a special tool to seat the upper covers, looks like a spacer that you put under the valve cover to seat the upper timing cover before tightening it. What did you use to get it level with the head before tightening the bolts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just performed the exact procedure down to powder coating. The valve covers are no big deal, Just follow the silicone (grey) points as TIS specified. I had problems with the upper timing chain covers leaking. Problem was solved once I compressed the covers with two narrow bar clamps. I could never find the BMW tool or even what the crazy thing looks like. I applied the grey silicone just as TIS specified and then installed the cover with the new seals, then installed all the bolts (loose) and finally compressed the top of the covers with the bar clamps. Once everything looked alligned, I tightened all the bolts and that eliminated all the leaks. Hopefully that helps.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
I imagine he used some pretty small ones, with the limited clearance in the engine compartment, but I agree it would be great to see a photo of them in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.