BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
F1, MotoGP & 'Ring addict
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a thread to complain about the gas price. I wanted to share my gas consumption figures with others and ask about the OBC's calculation.

During my recent ED I drove 839 mi in my 135i. At the end of the trip the computer read 17.1 MPG at 49.8 mph average speed. I never reset it once. I know the MPG was much lower than this because I spent $500 on gasoline. Assuming $9 / gallon, I bought 55 gallons, and I had 5 free gallons from BMW. So 839 miles divided by 60 gallons = 14 MPG.

So does the on board computer really miscalculate by over 20%?

My 335i usually (says) it gets about 18 mpg. But now I am wondering if it even gets that much.

FYI - during my trip gasoline cost was between $8.31 (parts of Germany) and $9.55 (Holland). It averaged out at $9.

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those wondering if I have a heavy foot, the answer is of course yes ;) , but I should also note that about 150 miles was spent at the track. Assuming about 5 miles per gallon at the track (making this figure up based on past experiences with the 335i), that would mean I got about 22 mpg during the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Does the 1-series OBC have two fifferent consumption readings, one that is reset-able and one that is not? Did they give the same average?

(I ask, because the non-reset-able one in my X3 went crazy somewhere during its lifetime and tried to average in an infinite number with others. The one that could be reset never had a problem.)

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
This isn't a thread to complain about the gas price. I wanted to share my gas consumption figures with others and ask about the OBC's calculation.

During my recent ED I drove 839 mi in my 135i. At the end of the trip the computer read 17.1 MPG at 49.8 mph average speed. I never reset it once. I know the MPG was much lower than this because I spent $500 on gasoline. Assuming $9 / gallon, I bought 55 gallons, and I had 5 free gallons from BMW. So 839 miles divided by 60 gallons = 14 MPG.

So does the on board computer really miscalculate by over 20%?

My 335i usually (says) it gets about 18 mpg. But now I am wondering if it even gets that much.....
Buddy...... surely you know that driving at top end of Autobahn speed will not be able to achive the EPA estimated gas mileage ...right..??!!:eeps:

I had the same problem on my last trip. I had a 3/4 tank of gas departing from Berlin heading to Hamburg. I did a quick estimate figuring that 3/4 tank should be more than enough to for 189 miles, assuming that a full tank will get me 289 miles...

Yeah!!! Boy was I wrong... 45 mins later at appx... 58 miles away from Hamburg, the low on gas light came out...:eeps: THAT's when it hits me!!! You burn a lil' more gas when you are avg 140 MPH:p

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the 1-series OBC have two fifferent consumption readings, one that is reset-able and one that is not? Did they give the same average?

(I ask, because the non-reset-able one in my X3 went crazy somewhere during its lifetime and tried to average in an infinite number with others. The one that could be reset never had a problem.)
One figure is instantaneous MPG (calculated based on fuel currently being delivered).
The other figure is MPG for the trip (since you last reset it). I never reset mine, so in my case, my trip was the entire 839 miles.

Why does your sig list your color as Rosso Corsa? That is not a BMW color!

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Buddy...... surely you know that driving at top end of Autobahn speed will not be able to achive the EPA estimated gas mileage ...right..??!!:eeps:
Yeah, I'm certainly not complaining about my car's MPG. 17 for the trip is fine. But in reality I got 14. That is also fine. But what isn't fine is that the car says over 17 MPG when I calculate it myself and see that I got below 14 MPG. I was simply wondering - is the OBC really off by this much (22%)?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Why does your sig list your color as Rosso Corsa? That is not a BMW color!
But non-metallic A61 Crimson Red is.

I owned Lancias in the past, and the race team color was Rosso Corsa. I took one look at the current red and it brought back fond memories. So I ordered one.:thumbup:

My wife says the red is bad enough and won't let me black-out the hood as was done with the factory Fulvia HF rallye cars.

Attachments

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Here a view to current gas prices in Germany:

(c) SPIEGEL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok maybe I missed this on the thread and not sure if it's different on each series or engine but I read that the OBC calculates off the last 30 miles not since you last reset. FYI. gas was running 1.10 a liter in Slovenia. Way way cheaper. I also noticed it was the same price in EVERY gas station. When I crossed the boarder in Itally it was 1.52 a liter. OH and tolls. Don't get me starting on the Tolls in italy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can someone explain what the "Benzin" and "Super" mean in octane terms. Given that they are somtimes the same price, it was difficult for me to figure out which to pump. Also, how do these (or octane rating as posted in Germany) compare to the Octane ratings in the US?.. 87, 89, 91 etc...

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Can someone explain what the "Benzin" and "Super" mean in octane terms. Given that they are somtimes the same price, it was difficult for me to figure out which to pump. Also, how do these (or octane rating as posted in Germany) compare to the Octane ratings in the US?.. 87, 89, 91 etc...
Benzin = 91
Super = 95
Super Plus = 98
Shell V100 = :dunno: :rofl:

I don't know octane how Octane ratings in Germany compare to the Octane ratings in the US.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
Benzin = 91
Super = 95
Super Plus = 98

I don't know octane how Octane ratings in Germany compare to the Octane ratings in the US.
European ratings will show a higher number for the same gas. In Europe, they use the RON scale. (I think. I might have it backwards.) In the US, we use an average of RON and MON. This is where the cryptic (R + M)/2 printed on the octane sticker on the pump comes from.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Benzin = 91
Super = 95
Super Plus = 98

Thanks..

I did some googling and found this:
In Germany, the octane number is at least 91 for standard petrol, 95 for super and 98 for super plus. Expensive premium fuels even claim to be at least 100 octane.
Given that Regular is 87 in the US, it looks the octane rating in Germany is higher by about 4 points for the same fuel. Also, this website confirms iversonm's post that Europe ratings are about higher, by 4-5 points, than US for the same fuel.

So the the fuel grades should roughly convert to US octane rating as follows:

Benzin (91) = US 87
Super (95) = US 91
Super Plus(98) = US 93 or 94
Shell V100 = US 95 or 96

I am surprised Benzin and Super are sold at the same price in Germany. i In the US, Super is about 5-10% more expensive.

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Thanks..

I did some googling and found this:

Given that Regular is 87 in the US, it looks the octane rating in Germany is higher by about 4 points for the same fuel. Also, this website confirms iversonm's post that Europe ratings are about higher, by 4-5 points, than US for the same fuel.

So the the fuel grades should roughly convert to US octane rating as follows:

Benzin (91) = US 87
Super (95) = US 91
Super Plus(98) = US 93 or 94
Shell V100 = US 95 or 96

I am surprised Benzin and Super are sold at the same price in Germany. i In the US, Super is about 5-10% more expensive.
Super used to be 2 cts more expensive, but since March or so, it's the same.

I believe the reason is that US demand for Normal is higher than for Super.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
Super used to be 2 cts more expensive, but since March or so, it's the same.

I believe the reason is that US demand for Normal is higher than for Super.
The automotive newspaper AutoBild found out that Normal gasoline does not exist any more.

The pump says "Normal", but it's the same price and same quality as "Super".

Current price (July 13th): Munich 1.56; Landsberg 1.50

·
drives a Sawd-Off Shotgun
74 Posts
I'm headed that way July 27 and really appreciate the info...

So, am I right in assuming I should put Super Plus in it? (93 to 94 octain US)

Just a simple Yes or No is fine....and thanx.

·
Oberbayer
1,592 Posts
I'm headed that way July 27 and really appreciate the info...

So, am I right in assuming I should put Super Plus in it? (93 to 94 octain US)

Just a simple Yes or No is fine....and thanx.
NO unless BMWs with US spec have a different engine tuning than German ones.

I drive a 2006 750i and I never ever have put anything above Super (German 95 ROZ) in it. I could not imagine putting in Super Plus could in any way boost the performance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok maybe I missed this on the thread and not sure if it's different on each series or engine but I read that the OBC calculates off the last 30 miles not since you last reset. FYI. gas was running 1.10 a liter in Slovenia. Way way cheaper. I also noticed it was the same price in EVERY gas station. When I crossed the boarder in Itally it was 1.52 a liter. OH and tolls. Don't get me starting on the Tolls in italy.
The tolls in Italy didn't bother me that much, but I did have a bit of a panic the first time I went to fill up, since the stations don't post the octane rating. Luckily the first place I went, the attendant understood enough English to communicate that yes, the regular senza piombo is 95 RON.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts