Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,394 Posts
"Son of a gun"..

Why was the guy Fing with the gator anyway?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,394 Posts
That AS video was brutal...

I didnt like the spin they put on the cause- blaming only AS maintenance...as I recall more than a few MDs crashed before the fault was identified (failure of the airplane mfg to specify adequate maintenance.)

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
It's alligator mating season here in Floriduh. If you see a big male gator carrying a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates.... don't **** with him!

The follow-on videos are always interesting. Here's one of the 2000 crash of an Alaska Airlines plan off the coast of California.

I spent 15 minutes watching this?
A print of the time stamped audio would have given me better chance of understanding what they did wrong.

·
Uniquely desultory
7,557 Posts
That AS video was brutal...

I didnt like the spin they put on the cause- blaming only AS maintenance...as I recall more than a few MDs crashed before the fault was identified (failure of the airplane mfg to specify adequate maintenance.)
I recall the story well. I hadn't seen a moment to moment account like that before. The cause was determined to be failure of the jackscrew that operated the horizontal stabilizer owing to insufficient lubrication.

By a weird and meaningless coincidence, I built a wine cellar for a guy about 8 years ago who is a Cal Berkeley metallurgy professor and expert witness. He spent many days testifying in that trial, or being on call to do same anyway. Had about 10 loose leaf binders on some shelves in his garage labeled with the case name and number.

What a lousy feeling that had to be - unable to make a relatively simple part of the airplane react to your instructions.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,394 Posts
Or to be a pax flying inverted for the last 85 seconds of your life....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts