BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I drove my car this morning, and it done just perfectly fine, in till on the way home, I come to a stop at a light, when I took off, 1st was fine, second was fine, put it in theirs and you can hear a clicking sound coming from the gear shift handle, you can feel it if you put your hand on it too. Now, as far as what I have tried to figure it out, it only does it once you hit third gear, the faster you go, the faster the clicking and feeling. Can not feel it in the clutch, shifts fine thru all 5 gears, once you get up to speed you can clutch or put it in neutural, and it still does it, as you slow down, so does the sound and feeling in the shifter. I am kind of at a loss.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Clicking

Sense it speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car, it most likely is coming from the main trans drive shaft. That shaft connects to the input shaft via a ball or cylinder bearing race. If you put it in neutral while sitting still and release the clutch while running and don't hear a growling noise, that bearing is OK. If you are only hearing it in 3rd gear, I would suspect the 3rd gear synchronizer or bearing on that shaft. You say you feel it even in neutral while coasting and not in any gear, that would indicate the lower bearings on the transfer shaft seen at the bottom of the picture I attached of a generic trans.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does it in third fourth and fifth, I think it does it in first and second too, but its at low enough speed that you cant really tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts