BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a 330d on a 52 plate and the auto gearbox is shot! Anyone know of, or recommend someone who could recon or supply new gearbox? Got the info off of the gearbox but don't know what it all means, which of the three different numbers is the actual part number?

· Registered
5,354 Posts
What's the tranny's service history? Has the tranny computer been scanned for codes? Did you check the fluid level?
BMW sourced auto trannies from GM of France and from ZF, a German company. You need to determine which tranny is in your car. Check the tranny fluid pan (under the car). A GM tranny's fluid pan is flat and smooth. A ZF tranny will have a ribbed fluid pan.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fault codes are 50 gear monitoring 1, 52 gear monitoring 2, 54 gear monitoring 4 & 55 gear monitoring 5. I think its a ZF transmission which I've been told is prone to failure at about 150,000 miles. Serviced every year, in between MOT'S was what I have been told, no service records though. I only bought it last month and didn't pay a lot for it but I feel conned, big time.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Fault codes are 50 gear monitoring 1, 52 gear monitoring 2, 54 gear monitoring 4 & 55 gear monitoring 5. I think its a ZF transmission which I've been told is prone to failure at about 150,000 miles. Serviced every year, in between MOT'S was what I have been told, no service records though. I only bought it last month and didn't pay a lot for it but I feel conned, big time.
It`s a well-known fact that auto trannies are a weak spot on BMWs. If you had done a little more research before buying the car, you would have been aware of this....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.