BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont use the manual mode a lot in my 540iA, but when I use it, it seems you have to lift the gas pedal a little bit, or it wont change gear every time. Any comments? In other marques you dont need to do this. I didnt find anything in the owners manual. Still getting used to the 540iA after the M5, but I love the automatic, especially in street starts, you just floor it, whereas, with the M5 you never knew how the launch would go too little/too much reving.

KIP

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any comment?? Is it a stupid question? I would really like a comment on the steptronic.... :rolleyes:

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
When you're hard on the throttle the transmission takes over and will shift at higher RPM then you intended. If you are at full throttle (past kickdown) it will not upshift until close to redline. In both situations if you lift you trick it into thinking that you stopped accelerating and it will allow you to upshift whenever you want.

Try manual mode again but be easy on the throttle, I bet it will let you shift without lifting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info,
So if i want a hard acceleration, i just push it and it will shift at higher rev?

KIP

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Yes, it'll shift eventually! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts